Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2001, 09:11 AM
Passenger

Default Holiday Ship - Riviera Deck?

Hi,

Just got our documents to go on the Holiday (Ensenada) trip at the end of March. While looking for a good deal, my travel agent booked us on the Riviera deck which is the lowest level of the ship. (I thought we were a couple of decks up from the bottom).

Questions:

1) As a first time cruiser, how detrimental is our room location going to be to our enjoyment?

2) Should I contact our TA and see about upgrading?

Any advice will be welcome. TIA

Rich
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2001, 10:10 AM
binkey36

Default Re: Holiday Ship - Riviera Deck?

The good news: all the rooms are the same from Riviera up to the Empress deck. The location is only important as far as whether you are midship or not. I have sailed many times....even booked outside quarantee...anticipating we would be on the Riviera deck. We ended up on Empress...but it truly wouldn't have made a difference. Only problem that would exist is there are more stairs to climb to get to Lido deck...but there is always the elevator. Bon Voyage. We had a great little cruise in January....hope you do too!
Old March 1st, 2001, 01:47 AM
rosieds

I loved my last cruise, (Fascination), which was my third, but my first on Carnival. Very very pleased and going on Sensation in May!

Remember bottom passenger deck is really not BOTTOM, there is one below for staff cabins and disembarkation, and more further down for utility stuff, so not like you are at water level, by any means! I liked being close to the water anyway... (we had Main deck, but could stand to be closer, no problem). With an outside cabin I got a nice view of the waves (beautiful in the moonlight) and "feel" for being at sea that way. Very stable ride, too. And getting off in port is much faster when you are just above the embarkation deck! Shorter line!

Anyway, I agree, deck certainly does not matter so much as *location* for convenience. Last time (Fascination) I was "upgraded" from Riviera guarantee to Main deck but waaaayyy aft= inconvenient, i.e. very long walk to disembark, front desk, shops which are all forward. Also LOUD! Engine noise!!!! I sleep with a fan but that was LOUD!!!!!

This time (Sensation) have asked for specific Riviera cabin assignment, so I know it will be mid-to-forward. Can't wait!!

Have fun!
Old March 5th, 2001, 04:47 PM
caroltg

Hi Rich,
I sailed on the Holiday in December. We had 2 outside cabins on Riviera deck. This was our 5th Carnival cruise, and we had never been below Upper deck before! There was absolutely no problem with noise, movement, vibrations etc. We rarely used the elevators and considered the exercise of stair climbing a plus. Have a great cruise.
Carol
Old March 6th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Passenger

I've been on two cruises, both of which i booked an inside cabin on the riviera deck with a guarantee. both times i was upgraded to an outside room on decks 4 and 5 (riviera and main) and was extremely satisfied with being on a lower deck. in fact, now i ask for a lower deck because there tends to be less movement and motion down there. i just booked the same thing on the victory in april and can't wait!!!