Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2001, 10:49 AM
First Mate

Default Snorkeling for non-swimmers at Chankanaab

Does anybody have any experience with a non-swimmer snorkeling at Chankanaab State Park in Cozumel? I've heard that it's shallow and then quickly gets deep. My kids can swim but I wouldn't consider them strong swimmers while my mother doesn't swim at all. I'm a little leery of having to keep a close eye on all three of them but we would like to snorkel...

Are we better off just skipping the snorkeling and spending the day shopping (which we all would enjoy)?
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Cruiser Sue

Default Re: Snorkeling for non-swimmers at Chankanaab

Hi Julie, I am not a swimmer, more of a floater at best. We went to Chan. Park last March and even I felt comfortable. The water gets deep, however, I found it difficult to sink. Maybe it's a combination of the salt water and "natural" bouyance.... I like that.. You may want to check into snorkeling float vests to feel a bit more comfortable. My husband and I are leaving for a E. Carib. next week and plan on some snorkeling there. I think I will enjoy it a little more with the vest. One slight negative at Ch. Park is getting into the water. One must climb down slippery rocks. It can be done if one takes their time, but if someone is unsteady they may have some difficulty. Have a great time. My family and I will be returning to W. Carib next year and definetly will make the trip to Ch. Park. We had a great time there. Enjoy yourself.... Sue
Old March 10th, 2001, 09:10 PM
Ug

There's a little Lagoon at Chan Pk. that is ideal fro Younger kids to play in, all Sand. Once you leave the Lagoon it does get Deep, a SNorkelling vest is a good idea even for Good Swimmers ( I got tired out after about 15-20 minutes, wish I had of got the vest). Park is very beautiful, I'd say go to it in the morning, then head dowtown in the afternoon.
Old March 15th, 2001, 08:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

That is true about the water getting deep before you realize it. I'm a pretty good swimmer but I still wore a vest. You can rent them there at the park, I think it was around 3 or 4 dollars. Also, another idea, I brought my own snorkle and mask and then rented the fins so I wouldn't have to carry them around with me. One thing that I really liked is that there is a rope that goes pretty far out and you can use it to pull yourself along while you're snorkling.
Old April 19th, 2001, 12:56 AM
Dana&James

Julie, last summer we went to Cozumel and went on the unlimited snorkel trip to the marine park "Playa Corona". It is just down the beach from Chankanaab. We had good instruction and the guides paid special attention to kids and non-swimming adults ( my husband). Getting into the water was great, they have steps into the water, then onto sand bags over the coral to protect feet! Very gradual down to water, you could see the fish at knee level! Not as fancy as Chank. but the snorkeling was great! Have fun!