Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2001, 11:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Victory 04/01/01 Review/Western Caribbean LONG

Ok, here it is, the long awaited review....Please remember, this is my personal opinion, and may not be that of others. Like alot of others, I'm going to get the bad things out of the way.

#1. Deck Chairs - The most common problem on the ship, and its a pain in the ___. Needless to say that the problem isn't not enough chairs, because there is chairs stacked up for use, but the problem is not enough deck room to stick the chairs where the sun is. Here is the way I look at it, on Carnival there is alot younger crowd, which in turn likes to lay out in the sun, there is just sooo many people wanting to lay out, that there is no room. Now people reserving their chairs HAS TO STOP. People where gone for 2-3 hours, and then returning to their chairs. I personally "borrowed" someone's chair when I saw their family of four pack everything up except one bag and left it on one of the chairs, and towels on the other. I took off the towels, and moved the chair to another part of the deck where there was room. HINT: make sure they are out of visibility before you do this!! CARNIVAL HAS TO ENFORCE THE RULES AND MOVE THE TOWELS IF THEY AREN'T BEING USED!!!!!

#2. The green colors on the ship are in a word TACKY!! It's too dark and almost a vomit green color, It did grow on you after awhile, but still wasn't that pretty.

#3. Holes in the elevators - Yes, they were in almost every single elevator, and they had putty covering over most of the holes, but it was still ugly looking. I know that alot of people say it's because of the teenagers, and get a common impression about teenagers being destructive, I'm 21, and didn't even think about doing anything like that, but one group spoils it for all the others.

#4. They take TOO many pictures, and they cost an arm and a leg, $20.00 for an 8x10 formal night picture, and to get a 5x7 for $6.00, you have to buy the 8x10 first.

Embarkation - We got into Miami airport at 10:15, and got our bags, found the carnival reps, and they said that the buses don't leave the airport to go to the port until 12:00, so we had to wait at the airport. Check-in was fairly smooth, and Carnival had the lines moving quickly. We were on the ship around 1:45p.m.

Room - We had a 6B room on Main deck at the back of the ship with a window. There wasn't that much vibration, and actually made us fall asleep easier than normal. The window is great for letting some sun in to wake you up in the morning!!!. Plenty of room in the outside rooms, and a good size bathroom also.

Food - Good food. I would rate it a 4 on a scale of 1-5, and the 24hr pizza and ice cream are always great for a late night snack. Lemonade, apple juice, ice tea are always available. Drinks are very good, and average price was about $6.25 for the drink specials. Dinner was excellent, and the waiter (Raymond) and assistant waiter (Budi) were very good. They would always say hi if they saw us walking around during the day. Carnival also needs to enforce the dress code on formal nights. I am dressed in a suit, when people are going in with a pair of khakis and a polo shirt, to where it looked like I was the outcast.

Ports:

Cozumel - We did our own tour for Cozumel. It was called "The Drinking Tour" We went downtown ($5.00 Taxi) and went to Carlos and Charlies, where the drinks where a little expensive, but very good. We walked around for awhile, and were unable to go snorkeling due to the weather being cloudy and wasn't worth the $6.00 to the Park. The boat leaves at 12, and was great, because we drank some more at the Fat Tuesday's Bar at the end of the pier right by the boat. The deck party was ok, but not that spectacular.

Grand Cayman - We took the tender ride to the dock for grand cayman and found a group of people doing a Sting Ray city tour and Seven mile beach for only $25.00 per person, compared to the boat price of around $50.00 I believe. We went back to get our snorkel equipment and cameras, but by the time that we got back due to having to take a tender, the tour had already left. We walked down to Eden Rock, about 1 mile away from the dock and went snorkeling there for free. There is a small beach, and steps that take you down into the water. It was beautiful underwater, with plenty of fish around to see.

Jamaica - This port is worth getting off at. Alot of people are skeptical about it, but it was probably the most fun that we had the whole time. We walked down to some shops and did some shopping there, and went to the little art market across the street. Yes, alot of people do come up to you for Taxi's, Guides, and to come see their shop, but if you are persistent and just keep walking, they will eventually give up, just hold your ground. I was approached about 20 times by people asking if I wanted to by Marijuana, but if you tell them no they will give up. It wasn't that bad. We took a taxi from the shops to the falls for $12.00 both ways for two of us, a pretty good deal. We went to the falls, and got in for $5.00 each, being some lady had extra tickets, as opposed to the normal price of $6.00 per person. We rented a locker which is $5.00 with a $3.00 deposit for the lock, which is refundable. We ended up doing the falls by ourselves, and not a guide, and finished in a little under 45 minutes. For most people it would take 1 hour or more, but we went fast, and went straight up the middle, which is more difficult, but provides alot more fun. When we got to the top it had started raining, but we told our taxi driver that we would be back 30 minutes later than when we actually finished, well it turns out that he was waiting there for us with an umbrella in hand!!!! We were very impressed. He took us back to the boat, and we paid him there, and tipped him extra being he waited for us and came with an umbrella.

Entertainment - The shows were great, Magician was awesome, and Corey was great with his bird show. The juggler was very good, and even tried to be a comedian..... The first comedian was average, the second awesome, and we thought the third one stunk. The R-rated show with the second comedian was GREAT!!.

Disembarkation - We had an early flight, so we got SPA deck tags and met at the Lounge at 8:30. We got off the boat by 9:00, but it took us forever to find our luggage because we left both tags on there and didn't know which section they would be in. (Word of advice - fill out the Spa tags with your information, and take the other ones off!!) We got to the airport by 10:00, and waited there for our flight back home.

If you have any other questions let me know, and I will do my best to answer them.
Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2001, 12:57 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Victory 04/01/01 Review/Western Caribbean LONG

Thanks for the great review. My wife and I will be on the Victory for the 4/22 Eastern Caribbean cruise.

My question is what are the drink prices for beer, wine, cocktails, etc...?

Thanks

Rich