Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Passenger

Default Victory 5/13

My daughter will be going on her first cruise this Sunday leaving from Newport News, VA. (1) Our first question is in regard to embarkation. Her cruise documents list embarkation from 3:30 to 6:30 PM. Is she able to check in prior to 3:30, or is that when they start processing passengers for boarding? (2) I've also heard something about getting to the pier early due to the long line of tour buses dropping off passengers. How early should one arrive to avoid that? (3) And last, does anyone have "personal" experience with the Newport News port? It is my understanding that port is only used for cruise ships 2 times a year, and is used for commercial purposes the other 363 days. I'd just like to know what we can expect prior to driving down.

Thanks for all input.
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2001, 04:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Victory 5/13

Hi
Just wanted to say, that with the previous 6 cruises I have been on (2 of them Carnival), we have always been boarding by just past noon time. This "first day" is included in your "number of days" on the cruise, and lunch is included from the time of boarding!
Make the Most of that First Day!!

:o)

We are going on Victory on 5/28 out of Boston, I would like to hear what she thought!!

RIta
Old May 11th, 2001, 08:16 PM
KarenT

Default Re: Victory 5/13

The Port of Virginia-Newport News Marine Terminal (State-owned terminal)

Terminal Parking for Cruise Passengers
Parking Fees: Overnight Cruises - $35 5-7 Day Cruises - $70
All terminal parking for cruise passengers is valet parking ONLY. Passengers arriving at the terminal will be directed to the pier area to unload luggage. Vehicles will be checked by parking attendants pierside and returned to a pierside staging area for pickup.

Parking fees effective through July 1, 2000

Directions to Newport News Marine Terminal
From Richmond area: I-64 East from Richmond, take right hand exit off I-64 to I-664 South (Exit 264), the sign will read "Monitor Merrimac Tunnel". Travel I-664 to Exit 6 (26th St. Exit), take exit and at the first light (Huntingtion Ave.) turn left. Travel to next light and turn left on 25th St. Go to stop sign and continue on to Newport News Marine Terminal.

From Norfolk: Take I-64 West, go through Hampton Roads Tunnel and take Exit 264 (Downtown Newport News) to I-664 South to Exit 6 (26th St. Exit), take exit and at the first light (Huntington Ave.) turn left. Travel to next light and turn left on 25th St. Go to stop sign and continue on to Newport News Marine Terminal.

From Suffolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth: (U.S. Route 460) Take I-664 North, go through Monitor Merrimac Tunnel take Exit 6 (Sign: 25th/26th St.) Follow 26th Street, go to first traffic light and make a left on Huntington Ave. Travel to next light and make left on 25th Street. Go to stop sign and continue on to Newport News Marine Terminal.

Directions to Nauticus International Pier, City of Norfolk, Nauticus-The National Maritime Center
Nauticus is located in Norfolk on the waterfront, just 20 minutes west of the Virginia Beach Oceanfront, via 44 West to 264 West, Waterside Drive exit, and just 40 minutes East of Colonial Williamsburg via 64 West, Waterside Drive exit. For additional information contact: Nauticus Maritime Center (800)664-1080.

For more information, as well as a map of the terminal itself, go to www.vaports.com We did the Victory last Sept. out of Newport News. It was not hard to find, the directions are very good. You do have to wait in a long line to get into the main terminal to unload your baggage. Be ready, as soon as you pull in, you have to get all your luggage out quick and they whisk your vehicle away to park it in the terminal itself. We waited in line approx. 1/2 hour, then in line in the terminal about 1/2 hr. , but were on the ship by 12:30.

Yes, it is a commercial port, but not bad to walk through. The terminal is immense, I think they could easily fit the entire ship in it!