Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default How's the Embassy Suites Hotel in New Orleans?

Just wanted to find out if it's in a nice area and safe. Any close by family restaurants that you would recommend? We will only be there for the evening then the next day we will be leaving on the inspiration, so is there any must see places or must do's for a family with a 12 yr old & a 4 yr old?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2001, 01:29 PM
Passenger

Default Re: How's the Embassy Suites Hotel in New Orleans?

Darlene, if you are there for one night you might consider a less expensive hotel. You can take your kids to our zoo (which is one of the best in the nation) also to the Aquarium of the Americas. We also have a theme park called "jazzland" which is nice for kids. And I know you are not going to have trouble finding a place to eat! Just keep your kids away from food that's too spicy for them b/c it might upset their stomach. I can't really comment on the hotels here since I have no need to stay in anyone of them, but Julia street is pretty safe. Once again, try the web and make some calls. Good Luck. P.S.- when are you sailing?
Old May 17th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Debby! I'm using Membership rewards points, so I have no out of pocket expense. We will be cruising on the 9th of Sept. and we can't wait!!
Old July 2nd, 2001, 12:54 PM
First Mate

We stayed there approx. five years ago before a cruise on Celebration, and were able to walk to the French Quarter and the Aquarium. Some of the streets we walked through were quiet, but didn't feel unsafe. Our cab driver from the airport had warned us not to walk around at night, though.

We booked a bus tour of the City in the lobby of the Embassy Suites, and were able to see the famous cemetaries, parks, etc. Our youngest was 4-1/2 and our oldest was 10 at the time. We enjoyed the Riverwalk mall where the cruise ships leave -- it's an upscale mall, with interesting stores and restaurants (including a store that sells inexpensive Mardi Gras masks). The only thing that I wouldn't do again with children is the French Quarter -- some of the photos outside the bars were very risque, and my husband was accosted by a transvestite as we walked. The Aquarium was really nice, and the bus tour was worth doing.

The on-site restaurant was expensive, but the Embassy Suites breakfast was very nice. We've stayed at a lot of Embassy Suites, and thought the food here was better than usual (the rooms were a little worn). The breakfast area is a destination itself, with some wonderful murals. The gift shop had some good jazz tapes & pralines. Watch for the murals on the sides of buildings -- we learned that they're painted by prisoners as part of a beautification program.