Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2001, 11:13 PM
Admiral

Default Hurricaine season?

Reading the travel guides, I've found out that August and September are supposed to be "hurricaine season" in the Carribean. Yikes! Will this be a problem this month, when cruising to Cancun and Grand Cayman?

What precautions do we take?...besides Bonine.
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2001, 11:03 AM
BillG

Default Re: Hurricaine season?

Keep an eye on the weather forecasts and be prepared for possible delays, cancellations or changes in itinerary. Technically, hurricane season begins on June 1st and ends November 30, but August and September are when hurricanes are more likely to develop. They are huge storms and extend out hundreds of miles from their eyes, so even if you are not in the direct path of the storm you may experience high winds or seas. That's why the cruise lines offer such good prices at this time of year. The cost for those bargain rates is the increased risk of bad weather, You are still more likely to sail without incident, but the risk remains. Don't let it overwhelm you.
Old August 9th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Being a travel agent it could be a problem depending on the time you travel. If it is early to mid August you should be fine. My advice to you would be to watch the weather pattern and be aware of any tropical depressions going on . I might suggest you call the cruise line and ask if you have anymore detailed questions. I have travelled during a tropical depression myself and have had to avoid ports of call because of the hurricane. That would be the main thing. You may not be able to visit the exact ports of call but the should be able to take you to different ones. Hope this helps.
Crystal
Old August 9th, 2001, 11:55 PM
Admiral

Thanks, guys for the info. I'll be sailing in the last week of August. I'm regretting that I didn't buy travel insurance. What happens if the cruise is cancelled?
Old August 10th, 2001, 11:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

You can always call the travel agency you booked the cruise with and see if they offer insurance through their office. If you didn't book through a travel agency you might want to contact a local travel agency for help. If the entire cruise gets cancelled because of a hurricane by the fleet of ships you are travelling on they should give you a credit for a future trip. Hope this helps some and have a great trip.
Crystal
Old August 11th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Storm'n Norman

Cindy,
I have cruised aboard Carnival nineteen timmes over the last 6 years. I have been fortunate enough to have only had 3 cruises change their itineraries due to "storm / hurricanes" and in all cases Carnival just changed itineraries (even as we were boarding in Miami). For example if you were cruising the Eastern Caribbbean, they usually just change the itinerary to their Western Cruise itinerary (to avoid any bad weather).
Last August I was on the Carnival Triumph when Tropical Storm Debbie was sweeping the Bahamas and Caribbean. Our Eastern itinerary ended up being changed mid cruise - so we ended up cruising to San Juan (shortened by 3 hours), then headed to Ochos Rios, Jamaica (for the day) and was at sea for the remainder of the time. Although we didn't get to our three ports, we all enjoyed ourselves (those extra days at sea are the most enjoyable) and the Ship's Captain and crew made sure that our time on board was as enjoyable etc. as possible - in fact the ship avoided the bad weather and rain and we had (for most of the time) relatively calm seas and great sunny conditions.
So don't be concerned about cancellations etc. and just look forward to having the best time............... it's your vacation and Carnival is the "Fun Ship" line!
Storm'n Norman
Cruise-a-holic
Old August 14th, 2001, 01:18 AM
Admiral

Thanks for your reassurance! I'd be sorry to miss the planned ports, but it's nice to know that Carnival goes out of its way to make the vacation enjoyable!
Cindy