Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2001, 05:08 AM
Admiral

Default Which Stingray Tour?

Which stingray tour at Grand Cayman the best?

Stingray City and Island Tour
Stingray City Tour
Stingray Sandbar Tour
Cockatoo Catamaran Sailing to Stingray City

Is the island tour worth taking, or is it better to just take the Stingray tour? We're more adventurous...want to really snorkel. Not really into rum, but will tolerate the factory if the snorkeling is better.
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2001, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Which Stingray Tour?

Cindy...
I really wouldn't bother with the island tour. Stops in Cayman are normally pretty short. Do Sting Ray City tour first thing in the morning.. then check out Georgetown, or go to Seven Mile Beach, or Eden Rock.

Regards,
Kuki
Old August 14th, 2001, 06:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

well in my experiance the ship tours are not as good as you will get if you get off the ship and take a private tour from the venders at the dock. We went to 7 mile beach for a couple hours then they picked us up for stingray city then they took us on a land tour and this was done fronm the natives and it was 25.00. I dont think you can go wrong
Old August 14th, 2001, 11:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Kim

We've done this island both ways!! One time we did our own thing...got off the tender boat and booked with the locals standing at the pier, the other time we booked with the cruise line. In my "humble"opinion pro's and con's for each.
When we took our chances at the pier where the tender let us off we paid our money and were to be back in an hour for the stingray sandbar tour. I think we paid 25.00 per person. We came back in one hour and the tour guide came up with this "STORY" that the tour had been postponed. The bottom line was that they had not filled up their tour boat and they were stalling. They took us and dropped us off at one of the hotel beaches (I think it was the Wyndham) on seven mile beach and came back and picked us up 2 hours later. We did finally get to see the sting rays but the boat was old and shabby and we had not planned on sitting for 2-3 hours. We wanted to see the stingrays early and then go back to the boat and clean up and then do some shopping. We still laugh about this and had a great time,but if you are a planner and don't like impulse decisions I suggest you book your tour with the cruise ship. Yes, the cruise ships make money off of the tours also. It is just a fact and we love to cruise so we don't get hung up on in anymore. The last time we went to Cayman we just booked our tour with the cruise ship. We booked the earliest available tour and we were actually the first people at the sand bar that morning. (Our tour left at 7:45 am) It was great, no waiting, we knew what to expect and by the time we left our tour all of the other boats were just pulling up. We got back in town and shopped for a couple of hours had lunch and then headed back to the cruise ship ....no rush!!
We have a great time no matter what, just figure our what style is best for you.
Sometimes its fun to do the adventurous things, others times I just don't want the worry. Have fun and know the STINGRAYS are the most AWESOME things you will ever be in contact with.. Take you underwater disposable camera's the photo's will be great!
Old August 19th, 2001, 01:51 PM
rjack22

Forget the ships tours! Go with Captain Marvin's Stingray tour.

He now has a special tour just for cruise ship passengers. It lasts two hours and you get one snorkel stop (equipment provided) and one stop at Stingray City. Cost is $30 per person. And it very easy. All you do is walk off the pier and turn right, walk about one block to the Aqua World Duty-Free Mall. Captain Marvin's has a booth just inside. You pay your fare (I made reservations in advance via the internet but paid when I got there) and then you get on a small bus that takes you to the other side of the island where his boats are. You are returned the same way. And the best thing is that you are in a SMALL group (about 10-17) and not on a big boat with hordes of people! This was a absolutely GREAT tour! I have not heard one negative thing about Captain Marvins tours. Visit his web site at www.captainmarvins.com and make your reservations! You won't be sorry.
Old August 20th, 2001, 02:00 PM
First Mate

Cindy,

If I can recall correctly Carnival told us the Stingray City & Island Tour was the popular one. But they also told us that all the tours end up at the Stingray City SandBar. The only difference is what is included in each tour.

We were lucky enough to be the last ones in line for the busses, therefore, the busses filled up and we got our own "private" mini-van (there were only 7 of us). The driver took us on a tour and gave us much info about the Cayman Island and answered any questions that we had. We went to Hell (I wasnt too impressed w/it), but it was fun to send a post card from Hell to someone! We then went to the Turtle Farm (my daughter enjoyed seeing the turtles). After that we went to board the boat to Stingray City. That was fun as well to see the stringrays swimming around! There were many other boats around when we got there, some coming and some going. You swim w/the sting rays and can feed them, snorkel, swim, etc. Rum punch is served on the way back as well as punch. It was fun and we still had time to go shopping afterwards. But the last tender is a 1:15pm and you have to wait in a huge line to get on a tender back to the boat. But I went fast and smoothly.

If your only interested in the Stingrays and snorkeling you might just do the Cockatoo Catamaran tour...mabie it provides more time for snorkeling and swimming w/the stingrays? I think we only had about 45 minutes or so of swimming w/stingrays.

Have a blast!
Old August 21st, 2001, 09:51 PM
Passenger

we went to stingray city. It wasn't a very long tour, once you take out the travel time to get there from the ship. You are snorkeling on a sandbar where the stingray come when they smell the squid that you buy to feed them. It's a really neat experience, but it's not an adventure---snorkeling wise. Nothing to explore, really because the time is so short...plus it's a sandbar...nothing there but sand. It is, however, really fun!!