Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2005, 01:09 PM
First Mate

Default St. Thomas shopping??

I heard that its better to go into the downtown area to do shopping instead of the mall area thats near the pier. Is this good advice? Also, is 3 hours enough to take a taxi there, shop and back to the ship? How long is the taxi ride?

Any help would be most appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Default Re: St. Thomas shopping??

You can get some better bargains downtown but many of the shops downtown also have shops at the pier and caryy the same prices. If nothing else, you will see more opf the smaller and specialty shops in the downtown area and there is also the flea market there which is where you can find some good bargains.
The taxi ride downtown is about 5 to 15 minutes depending on the traffic. They drop you off right at the flea market area on one end of downtown.
Jim

Old January 25th, 2005, 02:15 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: St. Thomas shopping??

Thanks, Jim! Do you think 3 hours is a reasonable amount of time to go there and get back? I'm asking because I'm not quite sure how big it is. Also, are taxi's easily accessible in the downtown area to get back to the pier? Thanks!
Old January 25th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Admiral

It is for me but my wife would probably disagree! <> The shopping area is really just two streets with some 'alleyways' between them and about a half-mile long I guess. The taxi's are everywhere on the main street and at the flea market. They will just about always ask you if you want a taxi back to the ship if you even glance their way. <G>
Jim

Old January 25th, 2005, 04:09 PM
First Mate

Thanks, Jim! You've helped me immensely!
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: St. Thomas shopping??

To me 3 minutes is enough time. all they have are t shirts jewelry liquor over and over. Better to spend your time enjoying the island or go to st johns, regards,
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:28 PM
newmexicoNita

MB makes some good points, but it is still one of the best shopping areas in the Caribbean, probably the best. Downtown has a little better selection, but basically the same major stores can be found either place with the same or similar prices. We used to shop downtown, now that we buy mostly booze, we just shop at the mall. NMnita

ps the shops do have very good prices on such items as Lladros, as well as crystal and linens.
Old January 26th, 2005, 06:51 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.

We hae always found St. Maarten to be better for shopping than St. Thomas.

We haver over the years purchase expensive jewellery and camera equipment when wecome to these islands and have found St. Maarten to be much better. You seem to be able to 'haggle' far more than in St.Thomas and the only reason we took our last cruise (Victory to Eastern Caribbean) was so that we could visit St. Maarten. As hubs is a professional photographer he knew what he wanted to buy.

Here in the U.K. what he actually bought would have cost him well over 4,000 (approx. at exchange rate of 1.8 = $7,200). He purchase the very same genuine Canon equipment for $1,900!!!!!!!!

As you can tell, a HUGE saving. Originally the price was going to be $4,000 but we got them down just under half price so you can really do well if you know what you are looking for.

Also, I agree with the other poster that St. Thomas is more for relaxing and exploring and if you go to Paradise Point, you get the most fabulous views of St. John, Tortilla, even Puerto Rico in the distance and it is very interesting to go exploring the island.

We hailed a taxi driver who gave us a tour (6 of us) for $20 each for a 4 hour tour of the island and it was worth every penny, believe me!

Hope this helps.

KG