CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   formal night dress (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/186201-formal-night-dress.html)

TINA August 23rd, 2001 01:15 PM

formal night dress

Hi,
We are going on the Imagination 8/3 and i was wondering...do people really get THAT dressed up for the "formal dinner"?
I do not want to be the only one not in a ball gown or my boyfriend the only one not in a suit.

gigi August 23rd, 2001 01:45 PM

Re: formal night dress

Most guys wear either a suit or a tux that you can rent on the ship.
Most dresses are just fine...a little black dress would be great. If you prefer not to
dress up you can eat in the cafeteria style restaurant...they serve prime rib chicken etc....

Nick Kozloff August 23rd, 2001 03:21 PM

Are you going on the imagination on 8/3 or 9/3/01? Just curious because on you post you would already be back? I'm on the imaginaiton on September 3, 2001. GOing to Calica/Cancun, and Cayman. If your going on this cruise e-mail me back! Pray for good weather!!!

Nick Kozloff August 23rd, 2001 03:22 PM

Are you going on the imagination on 8/3 or 9/3/01? Just curious because on you post you would already be back? I'm on the imaginaiton on September 3, 2001. GOing to Calica/Cancun, and Cayman. If your going on this cruise e-mail me back! Pray for good weather!!!

Kuki August 23rd, 2001 05:10 PM

tina wrote:
>
> Hi,
> We are going on the Imagination 8/3 and i was wondering...do
> people really get THAT dressed up for the "formal dinner"?
> I do not want to be the only one not in a ball gown or my
> boyfriend the only one not in a suit.

Tina,
I have been somewhat surprised on my Carnival cruise just how great a % do dress up. Perhaps more so than other cruise lines I've sailed where I expected people to be dressed to the nines.
U wouldn't be the only ones not dressed, buy I'd bet u'd be in the minority. BUT, u don't need to be in a ball gown. Dress runs the gamut from glitzy gowns to nice cocktail dresses. Nothing at all wrong with the latter. I would recommend a suit for the boyfriend, but failing that, at least a sports coat and tie.

Regards,
Kuki

David August 25th, 2001 10:55 AM

Embarrassing story... We went on a 7 night cruise last year. We went to the first formal night but not the second. We had went to the auditorium for a show and I spilled an entire cup of hot chocolate on my white shorts! I was trying to get back to my room to change and everyone around me was wearing formal clothing, I was SO embarrassed running round with hot chocolate on my shorts!

Jill August 27th, 2001 02:45 PM

Tina, my family and I just returned from the Sensation last night. I too was very surprised to see how dressed up people were on the formal nights. You definately need a cocktail or tea length dress like you would wear to a formal wedding. and you would not be out of place with a gown. Suits for the men,or sports coat and nice shirt, slack and tie are appropriate. I saw some men with tuxes but more were wearing suits. Lets face it,a guy wih a tie looks very dressed up but a woman with a regular dress on does not. you will have a blast, enjoy every minute.

Lynne September 8th, 2001 08:50 PM

Some women were in beaded gowns and many men were in tuxedo's. There is a wide range of what people wear on formal night. About the most casual I saw were men in dress shirt and pants and women in semi casual dresses. There are gowns and tuxedo's for rent on board if you don't have any, but really, just be comfortable. Just a tip...even on the informal nights in the diningroom, you can't wear shorts or sandles, but many men wore khaki pants and a sport shirt, while the women wore sundresses or dress pants. Our family really enjoyed dressing up each evening, though we never do at home!!