Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2001, 10:45 AM
Passenger

Default Divorced Parent - Written Concent?

Does anyone know at what age a child is no longer considered a minor? Do I need written concent for my 18 year old son? My husband and I will be traveling with his two children. The mother is dead. Do we need to take the death certificate or some other form of documentation? Thanks so much, Amanda
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2001, 03:15 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Divorced Parent - Written Concent?

Usually 18 years of age is considered an adult. Is he going to be in his own cabin or sharing one with you and your husband. Some lines request that a person over 21 be in the room as well. (of course there are ways around that rule as well) I would check with the Carnival for specifics.
Old August 29th, 2001, 03:21 PM
First Mate

me again, I believe you will need a notarized affidavit from your children's father for those under 18 years of age. (read your other message about your children.)
My sister and her husband are going with us in December with his 8 year old from a previous marriage and they are being required to have this affidavit (from the mother) with them when they board.
Old August 29th, 2001, 07:50 PM
Suzan

A child is considered an adult on their 18th birthday,he can make decisions for himself,,I see no reason to take a death certificate for the former wife..,,obviously he has custody,,and their birth certificates,,or some form of acceptable identification,,
Old August 29th, 2001, 09:16 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Jennifer

I, as a divorced mother, having travelled with my daughter a lot while she was still a minor, found that it was always better to be conservative rather than assume that things would be all right. I remember one time when we got off the plane in Perto Vallarta, Sarah and I with the proper conset documents had no trouble whatsoever. However, there was another custodial mother in line ahead of me who had not obtained this documentation and she and her son were refused entry into the country and led to a secure waiting area. The officials told them that they would be put on the next plane back to their city of departure. I, personally, would take the death certificate. Any custodial (or non-custodial) parent can say the other parent is deceased to avoid complying with the rules, and officials have heard it all and have a tendency not to believe very much of it or to be particularly sympathetic. I say, better safe than sorry.
Jennifer
Old August 30th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

My second husband and I just cruised the Caribbean in February with my 17 and 20 year old daughters.Of course our last names were different, and did not experience any difficulty at all. Actually we have travelled together many times since remarrying 10 years ago (so the children were younger) and I was always amazed that I was never questioned. (when they were younger I used to carry a letter from my Ex just in case).

Enjoy your trip!

merryAmanda wrote:
>
> Does anyone know at what age a child is no longer considered
> a minor? Do I need written concent for my 18 year old son?
> My husband and I will be traveling with his two children.
> The mother is dead. Do we need to take the death certificate
> or some other form of documentation? Thanks so much, Amanda
Old August 30th, 2001, 04:53 PM
Robocop

Amanda, you are fine, he is 18 and considered an adult. Now even though he is considered an adult, unfortunately he wouldn't be allowed to cruise by himself without someone over 25, (cruiseline policy) and he cannot drink, (cruiseline policy to reflect the drinking age at the homeport, Fl.).
Jim
Old August 30th, 2001, 04:57 PM
Robocop

Amanda, I just now really noticed about your husbands children. Even if they are under 18 there should be no reason to worry as everyone has the same last name and they won't know they aren't your natural children. Technically you would have to have something to show the natural mother is dead and there is no problem with them traveling with you but who is going to complain or even look into it? With the same last name nobody is going to question it.
Jim