Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Beginner

Default TRAVELING WITH CHILD NOT YOUR OWN

I will be travelling on the Jubilee on Oct. 6. Will be taking my husband, myself along with my two children and a 13 year old friend of my son.

What is needed to bring this child with us??? I have the raised birth certificate and a picture ID for him. But what does the cruise line need as affidavit. How should I word it. Will immigratins/customs give me problems??
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2001, 11:13 AM
Candy

Default Re: TRAVELING WITH CHILD NOT YOUR OWN

We always had to take a friend along for my Daughter. Birth certificate was fine. A noterized letter from the parent giving permission for thier child to be treated medically if needed might be a good thing to take along too.
Old September 4th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Amanda - Houston

I would definitely call Carnival. I am remarried and must get a notorized letter from my ex husband giving permission to take my children on the cruise. I was told by Carnival that you couldn't take a kid that wasn't yours on a cruise. Maybe I misunderstood but I am sure you will have to have a notorized letter from both parents giving you permission. I think this is a recent Carnival rule. I wouldn't take any chances.
Old September 4th, 2001, 03:04 PM
First Mate

You will need to get a notarized affidavit. This would be from the child's parents saying they give permission for their child to go on this cruise w/you. Also they might state they give medical permission as well. You will also need a birth certificate w/raised seal. Carnival will look at it and compare it to the boarding pass. Keep all the birth certificates in your cabin safe for safe keeping, but keep any picture i'd's with you at all times.

The affidavit might read....

We, "parents names", give our son "his name" permission to travel w/"your names" on Oct 6, 2001 for hte purpose of a cruise upon Carnival's Jubilee.

We also give permission for our son to be treated medically if necessary before, during or after this cruise.

Signed _______________________

Signed_______________________

Witness______________________

Notary________________________

Something to this effect. I hope this helps.
Old September 4th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Ron & Faye

I have a copy of an e-mail sent from Carnival re: our niece
going with us. They told us we only needed her birth cert. with
the raised seal unless we were going to Mexico. Let me know your
e-mail address and I will send it to you if you would like.
Rom
Old September 4th, 2001, 06:22 PM
Robocop

Eli, you will need a noterized statement from the child's parents, signed by BOTH of them, that you have permission to take this child with you. You will have no problems with customs, but the cruise line will darn sure want to see this letter and immigration may want to view it as well. This applies even more so if the child happens to be Black or Hispanic, or speaks with any type of foriegn accent.
Jim
Community Staff Leader
Old September 5th, 2001, 09:38 AM
Beginner

Thank you everyone for your responses. Ron and Faye. my E-mail is shivers_666@hotmail.com
Old September 8th, 2001, 08:26 PM
Passenger

Three years ago we cruised to the Western Caribbean on Carnival with our three children and 13 year old friend. We were told to bring birth certificate, social security card and notarized letter from her parents-giving permission for her to go AND, more importantly, allowing us to act as guardian if any emergency should arise. We were surprised that this information was not asked for anywhere, except the birth certificate when we went aboard the ship. This 13 year old was adopted at birth and the adoptive parents did not want her to see her birth certificate, so the parents got her a passport instead of the birth certificate and social security card...since it has a photo, too, it was the easiest and costs very little. Have fun!!