Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2001, 09:53 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival Cruise Lines Update

I've posted in another thread my experience with Carnival - my boyfriend and I wanted to reschedule our cruise on the Triumph (leaving 9/15), because of the tragic events that occurred last week. When I called on Thursday (I actually called several times, as did my travel agent, because we couldn't believe what we were hearing) Carnival's official position was that they would not let us reschedule, and standard cancellation guidelines applied (100% penalty applied). We were totally mortified by this, but decided the money really didn't matter and decided we still would not go. It turned out, our flight to Miami was cancelled, so Carnival was "gracious" (please read with sarcastic tone) enough to allow us to rebook. BUT, my travel agent had to provide proof of the original, paid itinerary to demonstrate we were coming from out-of-state and could not physically get there. As I said in my other thread, whether one chooses to cruise or not in light of recent events, is a personal choice. I also realize Carnival has a business to operate; however, I would expect that from a customer service standpoint, Carnival would be sensitive enough to realize that some people are really not "in the mood" to take a cruise right now. My understanding from my travel agent is that Carnival is the ONLY cruise line that took this position - all of the other cruise lines were flexible with their cancellation/rebooking policies. I am so offended that Carnival would attempt to capitalize off this tragedy.
Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2001, 09:59 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Carnival Cruise Lines Update

Carnival is a cruise line that only gives a damn about making a buck - period!! They stop being nice to you once they have your money. Try another cruise line in the future, the rest are a little more empathetic to the customer.
Old September 17th, 2001, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Just a thought out loud..... if you don't like CCL than why even bother to post a message here theses boards are for those of us who want to hear about your cruises and how great they were. You were the one that decided not to go not CCL. Yes there was A TRAGEDY a lot of people lost there lives so that other could have freedom thats freedom to do as we please and say what we please! Not going just give those responsible for what happened What they Want and that is for us to feel scared and hide , afraid of what could happen. If anything is going to happen it is going to happen while your on the cruise or not "When its your time its your time!!"

And yes the Lives of all those lost will never be forgotten they will alway be in all are Prayers......

I am just getting tired of hearing about the Tragedy here on this message board I'm sure there is a ton of others out there that you can moan and complain to.
Old September 17th, 2001, 11:15 PM
Passenger

I'm posting on the Carnival Cruise message board, so I can share my personal experience with Carnival cruise line to other consumers who choose Carnival. I had a bad experience with them, so thought this would be a good outlet to share it. My message isn't really about the tragedy per se; it's more about an inappropriate (at least I think so) customer service response to the tragedy. While I realize Carnival is in the business to make money, I feel they showed disregard and indifference to their customer's "needs" at this time . To all of those who choose to cruise at this time, or in the near future, I sincerely hope you have a good time.
Old September 18th, 2001, 12:54 AM
Casandra

I feel as if Rick does...my heart and soul go out to every American. BUT I will NOT allow those $^%$#@& to make me afraid and make me scared of something that I KNOW our wonderful country is going to take care of in a matter of time. It hurts me soooooooooo that I also feel like not going...in fact this weekend my thoughts were 1/2 and 1/2 but again.....letting those "people" know they got to me will hurt me MORE!

Also I feel that if Carnival were to give everyones money back that had a small fraction of a doubt, they would no longer be able to have a cruise line as they would go under. So I understand if they can not give $$ back on someone not being in the mood but I couldn't understand them not giving your money back if you just could not make it, as far as flying goes. They have to understand that part! I do hope you understand where they are coming from and I also hope you book another cruise someday and smile~

Until then....I hope all is well

Cas

P.S. I am VERY nervious about going...as we leave this Sunday!
God Bless America!! )
Old September 18th, 2001, 05:06 PM
First Mate

Wait a minute, I thought these message boards were for the good stuff and the bad stuff regarding Carnival. Yes, I want to hear about the wonderful experiences/cruises are having, but I also want to be informed of problems they had as well. When I starting reading and posting I was asking questions about service, and experiences from past cruises. This board has provided me with a wealth of knowledge...some good, some bad.
Old September 18th, 2001, 08:49 PM
Yeoman

Hi Allie,

I am a Travel Agent and am here to tell you that Carnival is NOT the only cruise line that is denying requests to reschedule or cancel cruises for clients. It seems that the whole world is up in the air right now, and since we were all taken by surprise, most are scrambling to figure out what to do. This includes the cruise lines, car rental agencies, etc. It is a hard time for everyone, even these huge companies that seemingly make millions of $$$'s. It is unfortunate that you have had this experience but, I hope that you will give Carnival another chance in the future. They are a first rate company and if you ever cruise with them, you will definitely enjoy yourself.

Linda
Old September 18th, 2001, 10:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Kim

Well, I have read messages all week about to go or not to go on a trip that has been planned. We are scheduled to leave on the Destiny this Sunday and we are still planning on going, permitting that something does not happen out of our control. However, I feel everyone must do what they consider is right for themselves. So many have been quick to judge others on the postings. I too feel that I do not want a terrorist to take my freedom away by making me fearful of my everyday activities. But if one feels that they simply are not mentally able to go on a trip they planned then don't go. We are certainly not rolling in the bucks, but good grief, it is just money. Even if you lose your money....it is just money. How many would give any amount of money to have their loved ones returned in New York?
Get a life... live it, let other's also live theirs and pray for all of those that are so grief strickened. Yes, I am also apprehensive about leaving on a trip this weekend. Not the flight or the cruise, but the concern in the back of my mind that something might happen while we are gone and we would have trouble getting home. But hey, I could walk out my front door tomorrow and also be run over by a car.
God bless this wonderful country.
Old September 19th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Passenger

If you saw my other thread, I was willing to take the monetary loss - hey, it is only money. I felt strongly enough that I didn't want to go at this time - not out of fear, but because I truly mourn/grieve the recent incidents. My heart just wasn't into taking a "Fun Ship" cruise; in fact, I told my travel agent that regardless of how Carnival handled the situation, we were not going at this time.period. But that's just me - people react in different ways and that's fine too. However, I felt pretty strongly about Carnival's customer service so I thought I would share the experience. When talking to my travel agent, she validated what I was feeling and was also shocked over Carnival's service. According to her, the other cruise lines were much more flexible about allowing rebookings - so in my eyes, that made Carnival's reaction even more offensive.

Again, I hope anyone who cruises at this time a wonderful, safe time. Peace.
Old September 19th, 2001, 02:48 PM
NJmatt

I called my agent this morning about my sailing this weekend 09/22 on the Victory which is sailing from Boston. The agent I spoke with called Carnival and they told her that they are handling everything on an "individual" basis and that I would have to fax to the Reservations Administrator the reasons why I did not want to travel with the reason being I have no way to make it to the area where the bus is leaving from,in this case here the Woodbury Commons Mall in New York State.
I sent the letter by fax and am waiting to see if I hear anything.

I also called the emergency hotline number for Carnival as I also booked a room guarantee cabin and really do not feel comfortable traveling to Boston and not knowing what cabin I have been assigned. The rep told me they still don't know what cabin I have despite my insisting I wanted to cancel my reservation only to be told,"well since there have been cancellations you did receive a nice upgrade. Well...HELLO...if I received an upgrade then YOU should know what cabin I am in,still no satisfaction. I myself work in a Customer Service oriented industry and this is NO WAY to run a Business.

The next time I cruise again I will think of another Cruiseline.
Old September 19th, 2001, 10:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Kim

Allie,
I think you are absolutely on target, if this isn't the right time to go then don't. I didn't mean to sound offensive about the monetary value. We have sailed Carnival many times and I sometimes feel they can be a bit of money mongers. Don't get me wrong I have always had a great time, but we have sailed other lines and I haven't felt that way about some other lines. I work in healthcare and am a big advocate of "Good Customer Service" and it gripes me when patrons don't receive it. I hope you do schedule another trip sometime and wish you the best. Believe me I am very apprehensive and still cry every day over this horrible act. When we booked this cruise I thought we would be dodging hurricanes, not terrorists.
Take care.