Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 28th, 2001, 06:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Bringing alcohol on board

I asked before we went on our first cruise if we could bring some wine on board when we embarked. I had several people respond that we could, but only during embarkation. Well we purchased a bottle of wine in New Orleans and packed it in our carryon luggage. Then when waiting to board the ship they made an announcement that alcohol would be confiscated and returned after the cruise. Anyway, we left our wine in our luggage and just decieded to let them take it if they found it. Lucky us, when we put all our carryon luggage through the scanner it all got backed up and they opened the wrong luggage and didn't find what they saw on the screen, so they let us go. Anyway, why is it that they said it wasn't allowed, when I have had so many people telling me that it was fine and that other people do it also?
Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2001, 07:30 PM
Tonya

Default Re: Bringing alcohol on board

I dont know if the luggage goes thru xray or is personally checked, but I took a very well wrapped bottle of Bicardi and a bottle of champayne in my suitcases and the second day of the cruise I was deliverd a note requesting an explanation of the liquire brought on board. The Champayne was easy to explain because we were celebrating an anniversary on board and it was to be opend at dinner and shared with our table mates. They had no problem with this at all, but reminded us to contact the Maitre D and make arrangements for the chilling and serving and of course the tip.The Rum was not explained in a convincing way and was taken and given back at the end of the cruise with all other liquer purchases we made in Ports. It was handled in a very curtious manner.. It was hard to be mad
I'll know better next time.
Old September 28th, 2001, 07:52 PM
Yeoman

Bringing alcohol on board is not allowed because they want to sell it to you at the bar at twice the price. The cruise itself is pretty cheap so they have to make money on other upsales like liquor and soda.

We did get away with the following, unintentionally. We bought rum in Barbados from the Malibu factory. The alcohol cases they had at Malibu held three bottles and we bought four, so they packaged up three of the bottles in one of those cardboard containters and we put the fourth in my bag. We boarded the ship and they saw the alcohol on the x-ray and told us to check it at the alcohol checking table. The x-ray guy saw us walk to the table and then returned his attention to his job. So we checked the box of 3 bottles and kept the third bottle and drank it with our table mates one night after dinner. It was a good time had by all.

I have heard that they let you bring champagne or wine on for special occassions but charge you a corkage fee, basically to discourage you from doing it. Most reception halls do the same thing on land. If they hold a liquor license then they only want you to buy the liquor from them.
Old September 28th, 2001, 07:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Joyce

My husband and I will be cruising in Jan. 2002, and I spoke personally with a Carnival CSR while confirming my reservations. She said we were permitted to bring 2 bottles of wine (1 each) on board if we wanted to drink it in our cabin. Of course, if we wanted to drink it with dinner, there will be a $10.00 cork fee.
Old September 28th, 2001, 10:45 PM
gogetter

Hello,

I think different people have had different experiences. That is probably why you have heard such different stories. i have always taken wine aboard and never confronted. A few times we just put the bottle of liqour on the bottom of our our bag while coming back from a port and never had a problem. Do not know why, just has happened. Maybe we are lucky !
Old September 29th, 2001, 03:43 PM
Chyna_C

I thought I had understood that people who were successful getting alcohol on board did it in their checked luggage not their carry ons?
Old September 29th, 2001, 05:51 PM
Candy

Boy I sure hope Carnival isnt checking luggage now and not just carry ons..They will find my Husbands Irish creme and my 151 Bacardi. Those are staples of my cruise..Teeehee.. and i also spend a fortune on drink coupons.. Ive never had a prob before. I will let you guys know in 2 weeks. Elation Oct 14
Old September 30th, 2001, 07:00 PM
Yeoman

I was told by someone else to just put the liquor into a Mountain Dew bottle. They will let you bring soda on board and with the colored plastic bottle any clear alcohol would look like soda.
Old September 30th, 2001, 07:03 PM
ForceRecon

May I suggest......just before boarding, consume all your alcoholic beverages and you won't have to worry about it being taken away......lol.....Seriously, when your regular baggage is checked, I HOPE they are looking for bombs, weapons , etc and not that.
Old October 1st, 2001, 12:25 AM
Angelo

I copy & pasted this from the Carnival website:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on
board the ship in the port of embarkation (with the exception
of wine and/or champagne). If the wine and/or champagne
are brought to the Dining Room for consumption, a $10.00
corkage fee will be charged to the guest. Otherwise, the
guest may drink the wine and/or champagne in the privacy of
their cabin only. It may not be brought into any public
lounge or room.

Sounds like Carnival is allowing champagne & wine to be brought on board!
Old October 1st, 2001, 10:29 AM
First Mate

I have brought alcohol both times I have sailed on Celebrity. A 1.75 of whiskey and 1.75 of rum. Both were in our checked bagage. In our cary on, we had two juice cartons (half gallon each) and some grenadine for my wifes rum punch.
I believe the trick is to have it in your checked bags.
Old October 8th, 2001, 02:41 PM
barb o.

I've been on 2 Carnival cruises this past year, first on the Victory 4/1/01 and brought 2 bottles of wine in my carry on and had no problems, our bags weren't even checked. However, I just went on the Fascination 9/28/01 and we wanted to bring on some whiskey, I figured security would be beefed up and decided to empty a bottle of wine which was in a brown bottle and fill it with the whiskey. Both bottles were in my carry on, when the bags went through the xray machine they asked me to open them and asked if I had liquor I told them I did and both were wine bottles. I had them wrapped in bubble wrap, the security took a look at them to see if they were actually wine and let them go through. Carnival does allow you to bring on a bottle of wine per passenger. Yet my cousin was right behind me and he had 2 bottles of wine and a small bottle of chivas and they only pulled out 1 of his wine bottles, so he was lucky. We opened our bottles in our room and went to the dining room with our glasses filled and encountered no problems.