Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2001, 02:58 PM
Passenger

Default Tipping

As I am about to enjoy my 6th cruise, I am well aware of the tipping routine. However, on my last cruise 11 months ago on the Imagination..Carnival instituted automatic suggested staff gratuity added to your sail and sign account. The last day, if you wanted to reduce or add to the tips you visited the pursers office and they would take care of it. I would suspect some would not like this,
but I LOVED it! No last minute fumbling for cash in what is otherwise a cashless society. And no awkward moments with handing envelopes to waiters, etc.

However, I have read reviews of Carnival cruises since that still use the old cash method. I sail the Triumph in three weeks...
anyone have a clue which method will be used?

Mitch
Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2001, 05:41 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Tipping

we just got back from the destiny 10/7 and they had auto tipping. i like it myself.
Old October 10th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Timothy

I'll be on the Triumph with you in three weeks, but I'd rather hand out the tips. I wouldn't like the new method at all & I'd never let them force it on me. I'm easy to get along with, but the tipping policy that you speak of doesn't smell very good to me.
Old October 10th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Passenger

I actually asked around..and it is up and up as far as whatever CCL charges to your card...it goes to your staff accordingly.
Assuming Triumph institutes the new auto tipping...you can go down the Purser and have them deduct ALL of it from your account...and then give cash to the staff directly.

I find it quite convenient, but I understand where your coming from and I wondered if some folks would not find it "kosher".

Mitch
Old October 10th, 2001, 04:51 PM
Robocop

Mitch,
Many people find it convienent to just have the tips deducted from their accounts but there are also many others like myself that believe tipping is a very personal thing and like to personally hand the tips to the staff as well as a few words of thanks. I have nothing against those that opt for the auto tipping, but I personally do not like it and will never do it again.
Jim
Old October 16th, 2001, 10:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

How & when can you tell them not to put tips on sail & sign card? We're on Destiny next week 10/21. I think pre-paid tips become a wage (if they know what they will make), vs a reward for great service. We have had great service most of the time but have had a few that didn't really seem to care.
Old November 3rd, 2001, 09:26 AM
holly

Sailing 12/13. Will have tips removed from account if added due to previous dining room service (extremly poor, forbid 1 waiter from EVER coming near our table again). Ended up w/ the captain for a waiter and he got 90% of the tip!