Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2001, 09:43 PM
Geep

Default Best way to get from MIA to pier / trip insurance

I booked the airfare portion of our trip seperately for about 1/2 of what Carnival wanted. Question to all is, is it better to buy the Carnival transfer service or take a cab. Our flight is due in at 11:42, so we should have plenty of time to ge to the ship before it sails (provided the plane is on time).

Also, what are people's experience with the trip insurance Carnival sells. Specific examples of good and bad when it come to having to use it would be great.

Thanks,
Geep
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2001, 09:57 PM
Len

Default Re: Best way to get from MIA to pier / trip insura

I used the Carnival transfer from MIA to the pier and found it well worth it...$10 one way. They will transport your luggage directly to the ship and the next time you see it will be at your cabin door. Just take your carry on items with you on the motor coach bus to the ship. I took the 11:30 transfer and was checked-in and on board the Fascination by 12:45! I did purchase the insurance thru Carnival, but thankfully did not have to use it so I can't comment here, but in light of the travel situation lately I would HIGHLY advise of some insurance.
Old October 16th, 2001, 07:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Geep,
There are also independent travel insurance companies you should check out as well, here are 2 that I know of:

CSA:
<http://www.csatravelprotection.com/>

TravelGuard:
<http://www.travelguard.com/>

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old October 16th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Geep

Without regard to cost, which would be better? Carnival's direct insurance or a third party? I did a quick check and Travelguard and Carnival's costis the same for the trip we are taking.
Old October 16th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Geep

Just checked CSA and they are less expensive. The initial question still stands. Out of Carnival direct, CSA and Travelguard, which gives better coverage/customer service?

Thanks,
G
Old October 16th, 2001, 09:26 AM
Bibby

Our family of 3 took a cab from the Miami airport for $18 total for the cab. This was less expensive than the cost for the 3 of us to take the Carnival transfer/bus.

The other good thing about taking a cab, you do not have to wait for the bus to fill before you can leave the airport. As son as you get the cab, you are on your way. With the Carnival transfer, you wait until the entire bus is full bus is full before pulling out.

Cannot comment on the insurance since we've never purchased it.
Old October 16th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Moondawgie

We took a cab and it was so easy - $18 each way plus tip. I have been buying TravelGuard and they have very good customer service. Really helped out people having trouble after Sept 11 tragedy. I would recommend them.
Old October 16th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Allison Ramirez

Just something to think about, As far as getting there earlier. We have always liked to do that, however things have changed, and there are now long lines to wait in at the pier. when I worked at the port of SanFrancisco last month, The people who showed up later in the afternoon did not have to wait in that line. If you don't mind the hurry up and wait situation, then go for it. After all,you will still get on the ship as early as possible. But some people were really done in by the time they got to me, at document check point.It was a very long morning, and afternoon for the early arrivals. Also, I haven't been to Miami yet, but in SF there were no facilities available until they got inside,and the long line was outside. We are using the Carnival transportation,which I had earlier thought would not have gotten me there soon enough, but now I am not worried about it.
Old October 16th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Geep wrote:
>
> Without regard to cost, which would be better? Carnival's
> direct insurance or a third party? I did a quick check and
> Travelguard and Carnival's costis the same for the trip we
> are taking.
U'll find third party insurance has better coverage I think.

Regards,
Kuki
Old October 16th, 2001, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Geep,
I agree with Kuki, I'd go with the third party insurance too. Have had good luck with using CSA, but I also have not had to make a claim. I did read a poster that did have to make a claim using CSA after a late flight, which caused them to miss the boat, and after turning in all the necessary paper work, the claim was paid off in a reasonable time frame, hope this helps.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old October 18th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Amarinemom

Check the coverage differences. Usually you get better coverage outside of the cruise lines.