Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2001, 01:02 PM
First Mate

Default Jubilee/Cozumel

My family of four is happily cruising in March on the Jubilee from Tampa. Have children ages 10 and 6. Going to Keywest,Cozumel. Have several questions hope someone can help? How are the kids clubs? Entertaining? Since all rooms on the Jubilee are smoking, do the rooms smell of smoke? Most importantly the stops in Playa del carmen/Cozumel, am confused about shore excursions where to go? We will be taking both kids with us and would like to snorkel, see beaches and possibly see Mayan ruins. Is there a place to go or a certain place that we can get a little bit of all of that? Is it worth it to get off in Playa Del carmen or should we wait and get off in Cozumel? thanks
Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2001, 09:02 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Jubilee/Cozumel

Hey Chris
can you give me an idea of where the best shopping is in Cozumel? Is it close to the pier or will we have to go into town? If going to a town, do you remeber about how $ cab fare was RT?
Old October 27th, 2001, 01:27 AM
Chris Owen

There is some shopping by the pier but I think the best is in town. Seems like it was about 12 bucks each way per car, not per person. They try to get you on that. We were throughly briefed on this at one of the daily talks by the cruise director though so we knew what to expect. On that cruise, Cozumel is THE place to shop though. When you get off the ship you can walk through a long mall like shopping area and then on the way to where the cabs are is another shopping area but the best shopping by far was in town. Although a stop by Fat Tuesday's is pretty much required before getting back on board! If you're looking for jewelry, there's a a bunch of choices but we found a really good buy at a place a couple doors down from the Hard Rock Cafe. A friend bought a diamond ring that was appraised at double what she paid for it when she got back home. All prices, of course, are negotiable there. My 16 year old daughter took to that like a fish to water. Where she got that negotiation skill I have no idea but she was right in thier faces, talking them down on everything.

Have Fun
Old October 27th, 2001, 10:30 AM
First Mate

We went on Jubilee last year with 11 & 14 year old - they loved it. 11 year old did lots w/ Camp Carnival, 14 year old found friends & they pretty much just hung out doing different things. We did take Walkie Talkies to feel comfortable letting them be on their own & they worked out great.

Cozumel - We were going to snorkel at the state park in Cozumel, but our taxi driver told us of another beach & so we went there & had a great time. He said, & I'm not sure this is true, that you pay separately for everything at the state park, like i think there were gardens, the beach & snorkeling etc., & you had to pay separately for all that. So we went to the beach he recommended, paid $5 for a table w/ umbrella for as long as we wanted it, snorkeled, & had some coronas & great tacos. It turned out really well. Later that night we went into town (actually some Canadians we had met at the beach recommended a restaurant in town which turned out really good, it was truly authentic, sorry can't remember name, but it was off the main drag). We tried to avoid the main tourist things, although I'm sure they are very fun. We kind of went off the beaten path, felt very safe & had lots of fun. We're thinking the taxis were $5 - 8 each way. Our 14 year old also loved bargaining & got some great deals.

As for the room, we don't smoke & our room did not smell like smoke. We had a great time & I'm sure your whole family will love it.