Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 29th, 2001, 09:38 AM
Trina

Default Tipping Room Service

I cruise on Destiny in 5 days! So excited!!!. In my Welcome Aboard booklet, it states that you can order room service at no charge. Is it customary to still tip and if so how much. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Linda T.

Default Re: Tipping Room Service

Hi Trina, 5 days Wow!! I've got 12 left for the Triumph. Yes you can order room service 24 hours a day. It will be cold sandwiches, fruits, salads, pastries,etc. no dining room food. I always order coffee in the morning and tip $2. if thats all I order. Sometimes we will get pastries delivered too and I'll add an extra dollar or two. Since it's free it's hard to figure 15% of nothing. So I try to guess how much it would cost on land and tip on that amount. You also tip them when they bring it to your cabin, not on the last night as almost everybody else. Have a great time. Linda
Old October 29th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Audrey

I heard that Carnival added your tips that you would normally give at the end of your cruise to your final bill. Is that true? I may have misunderstood. We always tip the standard amount and if the sevice is really really good we give them a little extra.
Thanks
Old October 30th, 2001, 10:59 AM
Passenger

we just sailed on the destiny 10/7 to10/14 we had coffee & juice every monring on our balconey we tiped them $2.00 every day as different people delivered every day.also on carnival they put your tips? on your sail & sign card as soon as you get on the ship they tell you that if you want to add more you can . we met people that took some off thier cards .i think the service is not as good as it was .
Old October 30th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Tips on Card

We sailed Victory Oct 7th and there were no tips put on our card as soon as we got on ship.......What are you talking about?
Semper Fi
Old October 30th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Never heard of that.
Old October 30th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Linda T.

Hi,
On some of the Carnival ships they add your tips to your sign and sail card. I believe they are going to add it gradually to all of their ships. I have mixed feelings about it, alot of people say service suffers, but I've never been on a ship that has done it so I can't comment on it. I'm leaving in 11 days for the Triumph and I don't think they have it on it either yet.
Old October 31st, 2001, 03:41 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to kelli

When we sailed on Carnival they added 3.50 per person per day to the sign/sail for the waiters then we were expected to pay the cabin boy another 3.50 per person per day (this info comes in the paperwork they leave in your cabin).

When we went on Princess they had 'choice seating' which meant you could eat whenever you wanted and they added a gratuity for them as well. On both we were expected to 'give extra' if we felt it was warrented.

On both ships the gratuity for drinks is automatically added, you can take it off if you want...it's 15% everytime you order a drink.

The room service thing I didn't even think about. We had room service a few mornings and didn't tip them at all because we thought it was included in the 'waiters gratutity'. We were probably wrong and now I feel bad. Oh well, we'll know better when we sail in January.
Old October 31st, 2001, 10:46 PM
LeisureLover

Trina, I just returned from a Labor Day cruise on the Celebration. The suggested gratuities listed in the phamplets, per person/per day.... are accurate. I chose to not pre-pay my gratuities, because I was not sure, how many evenings I would be eating in, and using the services of the formal dining room.
On the last evening of the cruise, a handful of pre-printed envelopes were left in my cabin. Each was printed with my cabin number, "to whom" the gratuity was owed and the suggested amount "per day/per person" of service, ie: Matradee, Head Waiter, Assistant Waiter, Cabin Steward, and Alternate Dining Staff, etc. Had I been short of cash to enclose in the envelopes, I could have charged whatever "cash" I needed for gratuities, to my Sail and Sign Card, like a cash withdrawl. I enclosed the suggested amount, per person/per day of service in each envelope, and turned them in at the Pursers Desk.
Room service, the hair salon etc, has pay-as-you-go gratuities above those listed in the phamplet. I paid the room steward $2 per trip to my room, whether he was delivering morning coffee or bandaids. That I'm aware of, the only gratuties that are automatically added, are those to the bar bills. Hope this helps.
Old November 1st, 2001, 08:37 PM
Passenger

Well now you have .do you think i made this up
Old November 6th, 2001, 12:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

WE JUST GOT OFF VICTORY SATURDAY. 5 EVELOPES THE LAST NIGHT ON THE SHIP WITH LOTS OF INSTRUCTION ON WHAT AND HOW MUCH AND WHERE TO PUT IT. NOW IT IS UP TO YOU IF YOU FOLLOW THEIR QUIDELINES. WE ONLY ATE ONCE IN THE MAIN DINING ROOM. WE TIPPED ROOM STEWARD AND OUR WAITER. I WAS SICK ONE NIGHT AND HAD TO LEAVE THE TABLE. HE HAD MY FOOD PACKED UP AND SENT TO ME FOR LATER. WHEN YOU GET ON BOARD YOU WILL EASILY SEE WHAT FEELS RIGHT TO YOU. IF YOU DON'T FOLLOW THEIR GUIDELINES I DON'T THINK THEY WILL HUNT US DOWN. IT'S BEEN 2 DAYS AND I HAVEN'T HEARD FROM THEM YET.