Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Admiral

Default No 50% Discount

Has anyone else had problems getting the 50% off voucher from Carnival from last year's hurricane season? I heard from my TA yesterday who told me that she has been getting the runaround from Carnival. They kept transferring her from person to person. Finally she was able to talk to a supervisor there and they told her that the deal is only for 30% off the next cruise, not 50% - and she had a hard time getting them to agree to even that. Now, I distinctly recall Carnival's website promising 50% off your next cruise which had to be used by December 31, 2005. I know I'm not mistaken about that, but Carnival has apparently decided to go back on their word and unfortunately I have nothing in writing as to what was actually promised so it looks like we might only get 30% after all - if we're lucky.

I'll still go on the cruise and I won't let that stop me from having a great time but I am a little disappointed in Carnival. Don't get me wrong, I'm still grateful for the 30% discount - I just don't understand why they felt the need to lie about it. If 30% was all they intended to offer why didn't they just say so from the beginning? Why get people's hopes up for a 50% discount only to snatch it away later?

I hope I'm not letting myself in for a flaming but I'm just curious to know others' experience with this. Has anyone else been able to get the 50% discount? If so, how did you do it?
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: No 50% Discount

I haven't had that problem, but I am having a problem using a 15% off certificate I received from Carnival. It was 15% off my next cruise to be taken within 18 months. I received it in June 2004 and planned to use it for the April 2005 cruise. When I booked the cruise my TA checked with Carnival and they said I could use it. Now, with final payment being due, they're not sure if it can be used, no one can give my TA an answer or final figure. The person who told him it could be used doesn't work there anymore,etc., and he keeps getting passed from person to person too. We even tried a 3 way conference call. I'm with you, I'll still take my cruise but why did they send me a certificate if they don't intend to honor it?

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 25th, 2005, 08:09 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

I am sorry to hear about that. I remember checking out the "news" section fo Carnival's site when I was worried about my cruise we took 10-04............. I remember seeing all the cancelations, and the 50% discounts that were offered. I know that I saw some other posts about this in the "People" section of this website. I think that it is horriable to say you are going to give a 50% discount, then all of a sudden change it to a 30%. I also know that there are several people on this site that will defend Carnival (there are certain people on this site that seem to think Carnival can never do wrong!!! Also that don't allow people to have their own opinion about Carnival). Even if Carnival dosen't have to pay for weather related issues, they offered it, I saw it with my own eyes, and since they offered it, they need to honor it. I hope you get it!!!

Erin

09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Darcy, I too have a 15% discount letter from Carnival to be used within 18 months for the "cruise only" portion of our next cruise. I was told by our TA to send the original letter to Carnival by certified mail (so I can prove they signed for it). Of course I have a copy of the letter and have printed out all the e-mails from my TA as far as confirming that I can use it and how to go about submitting it to Carnival. I will really be disappointed if I get the run around from Carnival, and if I do, I will become the biggest pain in the neck to them and my TA until they honor the discount. It is not so much the money as it is the principle of the matter, like you said if they aren't going to actually give those discounts then they shouldn't even mention it. Isn't this on the line of false advertising? They hook you and book you then leave you hanging. Maybe they think most people will lose the letter and never even try to redeem it, and if they do try they hope we won't go through the hassle to actually get the discount. I feel for the people like Cruisaholic who are having trouble with even larger "promises". Keep us posted you guys and let us know your progress. Thanks
Old January 25th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Hey John, nothing in writing anywhere? They should honor it but I would think that you should have gotten something to show this in the way of a voucher or letter. I wish you well my friends and hope that you get the full 50%. Have the TA keep trying. We might get a CCL cruise this summer as a CM cruise so keep that in mind as well. If it happened it will be up soon but it could be on any lines as well like RCI, Princess, HAl etc. Just don't know yet.
Jim

Old January 25th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Ricky Sr

Sorry to here you're having problems with your 50% discount. We had a group of 25 passengers on the Conquest last year (Mardi Gras 2004) when the Mississippi River was shut down due to a marine traffic accident. We all received a letter for a 50% discount on our next Carnival cruise which had to be booked and taken by 12/15/2005. We are all scheduled for another cruise, some in February 2005 and some in April 2005. None of us had any problems with the discount but we were told that if we didn't have the original letter that we could not get the discount. Luckily we all had the original letters! Rick
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I had my original certificate and I agree with you Daneen, its not the money, its the principle of it now. While I will certainly would cruise with Carnival again, even if they don't honor the certificate, if it was the right itinerary and price, the reason I booked the cruise I did in April 2005 was because of the certificate. I was looking at a Princess cruise but decided I could do that cruise another time and would use the certificate before it expired. Carnival was quick to tell my TA when I booked that the certificate was good so I don't know what the problem is now. I got a great price on the cruise when I booked it so I'm not going to cancel over the 15% but it irks me that they can't simply apply the discount.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Happy Camper

Here's one idea from when I was a cruise consultant. The Carnival rep that goes to your particular travel agent's office has a lot of pull. They can go places and pull off things that a simple person on the other end of the phone can't seem to think of. Ask your travel agent who their rep for Carnival is and have them call them. There are many ways to go about things - please be persistant. Carnival has given me the run around too but insist on talking to their supervisor etc. The people I called and booked my cruise through didn't know about the credit card discount and I insisted and they called to find out - they are just people on the other end and they don't know too much more than they are told - go above their heads... Debbie
Old January 25th, 2005, 06:48 PM
bernie and frank

IF CARNIVAL DOES NOT HONOR THERE DISCOUNTS THEN HIT THEM IN THERE POCKET BOOK CHOOSE ANOTHER CRUISE LINE.
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:02 PM
my3dogs

Hey Ricky Sr.,

My family was on that Mardi Gras cruise, too. We took advantage of our 50% discount back on the Conquest this past Thanksgiving with another family who also received their discount. None of us had any problems. As a matter of fact, that Mardi Gras cruise was a 50% discounted cruise from having problems on the Holiday in November, 2002.

Good luck to those trying to get their discount.

Hey Ricky, we finally made it to Jamaica and Grand Cayman (not like the Mardi Gras cruise). Hope you make it to both this time!!! Oh, and we had the same CD (Stuart Little).
Old January 25th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Admiral

Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone. I'll ask my TA keep after Carnival about this.
Darcy, I was also thinking about going on a different cruise line this year (Celebrity). I liked Carnival, but I hadn't been on Celebrity before and wanted to try something new. The only reason I decided to go with Carnival instead was because of the 50% discount so it irks me too that they are not honoring the very thing that made be book with them in the first place! Anyway, thanks again for the advice everyone. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old January 26th, 2005, 12:26 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Jim - there are TWO CA's on board. CruiseAholic is John....this is Cruiseaholic and is definitely NOT John! Confused me at first! <vbg>

Old January 26th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Hi Lisa, Oh, sorry, the cap "A" just kinda flew over my head. <> Seems like a lot of things do the older I get! <G> Still same advice, work on them as they said they are so try and make them honor it.
JIm

Old January 26th, 2005, 10:35 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to DPMinc

We had a group booked on the Glory when the Hurricane messed with our Sept 4th cruise, we ended up being bussed to Miami and getting a short cruise out of there. We did get all the discounts we were promised, too awhile to receive our refunds, but we all got them. Now we havd the Conquest booked for Oct 05, and the only thing we had to do was submit the original rooming list for Glory, and who ever is booked on the new cruise, and also was booked on the original cruise gets the 50% off cruise rate.

CCL has not given us any run around.

Paul

Norwegian Dream, Sun, Spirit
Royal Caribbean Grandeur/Sea