Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 28th, 2001, 04:52 PM
lisatoolgirl

Default Sail and Sign Card

I am going on my 1st cruise Sunday and i do not want to use a credit card for my sail and sign card. Is it safe and ok to use my banking debit card( it has a visa logo on it)? Or should i just give them a Cash deposit??
Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2001, 05:28 PM
Dan McDonald

Default Re: Sail and Sign Card

I'm not sure about the debit card, but they will accept a cash deposit.
Old November 28th, 2001, 05:41 PM
Yeoman

They will take cash or travelers checks.

I wouldn't use the debit card. It doesn't have the protection that a credit card does if there is a problem. If there is an error on the bill with a debit card you are pretty much SOL, they will not dispute it like a credit card company will. I know several people who have had their checking accounts emptied when the wrong person gets a hold of their debit card and there is no recourse unless there is physical proof (ie security video) of the wrong person using the debit card.
Old November 28th, 2001, 07:46 PM
CruisingIsLife

naaa, thats wrong. Visa check card type debit cards have the same protection as credit cards and yes Carnival does accept them. Use it
Old November 28th, 2001, 11:33 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Doreen

Lisa,

Use your visa debit card I did when I went on the Fascination a month ago and had no problems at all....in fact, it was better than using a regular credit card all my purchases were paid for as soon as I made the charge I didn't have to wait a month for a cc statement. Enjoy your cruise and use your debit card.
Old November 29th, 2001, 05:43 PM
Len

Yes to both questions can use a debit card if it has the Visa logo, or a cash deposit. IMO a credit card is much easier at check-in! If you do a cash deposit you need to go to the pursers desk once on board to place your deposit and have your sail & sign activated...and anticipate LONG lines! At check-in your S&S is automatically activated if you use a credit card, and I assume a debit card would work the same? Also if you secured your account with a credit card you don't have to leave it on there. You can pay your balance the evening before disembarkation with cash, get a receipt and it's a done deal!
Old December 6th, 2001, 12:07 AM
First Mate

I was on the Fantasy a month ago and used my Debit/Visa. Be prepared, when you arrive they automatically reserve a 500.00 charge until you leave and pay your balance. Just be sure you have enough to cover it even if you don't spend that much. I had decided mid cruise to switch my cards because I bought some jewelry on the ship. When I got my statement, I found that they charged my Debit card for the balance on my bill up to that point and whatever I spent after the switch they put on the other card. Don't use the cash deposit, it is a real hassle waiting in line all the time to settle your account.

Have a great trip
Old December 10th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Robert White

If you use a credit card, like Visa or MC, you have some
recourse for returning unsatisfactory merchandise. I bought a
gold chain on one of the major cruise lines, and it went
bad - tarnished after a short while, and made my skin breakout.
I was able to return it by mail to their merchandise
center and then they credited by card for the item.
A CC also gets you an extra 25 days to pay your shipboard
account. Are you worried that someone connected to
the ship might use your card or steal the numbers. -
that is always a concern with credit cards whether you
use them in restaurants or over the phone for mail
order merchandise - but I think the convenience and the
ability to stop payment on disputed merchandise outweighs
the risk and you always have a documented record.
I would think in the case of posting cash - and you wanted
to return something that you bought aboard later{ - they have
great sales, for art, jewelry, and sports wear, } you might
have to wait awhile for someone to cut you a check.
Buckeye Bob