Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2001, 11:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Inspiration - Jan. 20

This is MY first cruise and my husbands second. I'm REALLY wondering what to pack?! What to do before getting onboard...what to do in ports (shore tours, etc). Anyone else going on this one? We'd love to meet a couple to hang out with some on the ship...especially if they actually KNEW the routine : )
Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Al & Val

Default Re: Inspiration - Jan. 20

Leslie,

Hi! My husband and I just got back from the Inspiration cruise 12/2. I am assuming you have checked on the internet for the Calgone list of what to pack. If not, do that .. it is a real good list to use as a guide. Can't remember the site's address, but this one is pretty good also: http://www.sealetter.com/Jan-98/pack.html

I packed way to much. It was our first cruise so I wasn't sure of what to take. Now that I do know I would have packed 2-3 swim suits with a wrap or beach cover. Most days on the ship that is all you'll wear. 2-3 shorts w/tops. There are two formal nights and for the other nights I took sun dresses w/sandals. If you haven't yet, go to the dr. and get a prescription for the patch. We took an over the counter med for motion sickness and it zapped us out completely the first two days!! Fortunately, we met a doctor in our dining room and he gave us two patches each (one patch lasts 3 days, but they don't stay on when you are in salt water).

Be sure to take your driver's license with you. The airport and ship require it. Don't plan on using credit cards or traveler's checks in ports, because everyone wants cash! I don't think Jamaica even knows what a credit card is! We didn't like Jamaica ... kind'a scary. Be sure you stay with other people at all times!

As for excursions, this is what we did:

We booked Barrett's Adventures on our own. http://www.barrettadventures.com/ My recommendation to you for Barrett's would be this: Ask who your driver is going to be. We wanted Carolyn (heard rave reviews about her and her tour from the message boards), but she had an opportunity to go back to the states and we ended up having Don be our driver. He barely said a dozen sentences, and that was a long drive into the mountains. The YS Falls are GREAT. Take my word for it .. you will enjoy these much more then Dunn River Falls. There is not the crowds here as there is at Dunn River Falls. Carolyn had told us we could pay by credit card and when Don got us clear into the mountains, he informs us he wants cash. We had enough cash on us for one person. Then we didn't have any money for shopping, and barely any money for the guide at the YS Falls. Make sure you take your underwater camera there (if you are planning on swimming) and have one of the guides that will meet you at the entrance show you around. They are very good and informative. They will take pics of you in the falls! They are well worth the tip they will expect. We could only afford to pay them $4. We ended up paying for everyone's meal w/credit card at the lunch to make up for our 2nd person excursion fee. Then Don talked us into having him drop us off at the small mall at port, instead of taking us to the hummingbird sanctuary. I was not happy abt that. With Carolyn not being the guide, it was definitely not worth $75/person. I feel if you could get Carolyn, it would be a wonderful trip.

Then in Grand Cayman we took Capt. Marvin's. http://www.captainmarvins.com/ This was great!! My only suggestion here would be to take your own snorkeling gear or one with a value on it to keep the saltwater from coming in. That would be a good investment.

At Cozumel, we went on our own. We shopped in the morning and then went to Chadenuck (sp?) Park ($8 cab ride, one way). It was beautiful. To gain entry it was another $10. I heard there was another beach on down from Chadenuck Park that was free and just as nice, but can't remember the name. I would recommend a short shopping trip and more time at the beach here. Unless you want jewelry or diamonds ... otherwise it is just mostly junk in town and most of all is at the little mall where you dock AND it is cheaper there, then in town.

Hope this helps and have fun. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Valerie