Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Karin Manning

Default Marriage License required ID

I'm having a senior moment and can't remember the answer to this:

I know that required ids include a valid passport or driver's license and birth certificate. My question is, because of marriage, my names do not match (Maiden/married) - do I need to supply a marriage license to show that the legal chane was made. Or doesn't it matter because the first and middle names are the same.

Thanks a ton
Karin
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2001, 01:02 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Marriage License required ID

I don't know if you have time for this, but i just had my passport amended to show my name change. It doesn't take long at all, i used their expedited service and got my passport back the same week I fed exed it to them. Hope it helps!
Old December 13th, 2001, 06:01 PM
Robert White

I don't know what the ships' policy is but I got married in
March of 2000 and left the next day. But the TA suggested that
I book the second passenger in the room under my wife's
maiden name that matched her drivers license and Credt crd. She also had her Birth CD with her. We have since got a passport under her new
married name. And she changed her DL and SS nrs.
BUT caveat.
There was a news story her in Columbus, about a couple who got
married on a Saturday, small town about 50 miles away. The groom booked the airplane tiks in their new married names. This created a problem and was after 9 --11. (You know where I am going with this.)
Her photo ID, i.e, her drivers license still had her maiden name, and
her old address. One of the airlines would not let them board
because she did not have a new DL picture, with married name, and they didn't have their marriage license with them.(forgot it) I guess the
airline would have rewritten the ticket if she could prove she had
gotten married the day before. They didn't have time to go back to get it and still make the flight- so they missed,and their tiks were not refundable. So they had to pay again for tickets that matched their names. One of those tv trouble shooters made a story out of it, and I guess the airline eventually refunded them the value of the first set of ticks. But those were save on's, and they paid a higher fare for the subs.
Old December 14th, 2001, 04:14 PM
Al & Val

Robert is correct. We got married on Nov. 24th and left for our cruise on Dec. 12th. Everything was in my maiden name, since my dr. license (only ID they asked for) was still in my maiden name. I would leave as is. Follow Robert's recommendations.
Old December 14th, 2001, 07:51 PM
Robocop

Karin,
It honestly doesn't matter. Immigration knows the American custom of the lady assuming the mans last name. Some will tell you to be safe go ahead and carry your marriage license and maybe that is good advice for those that were married just immediately before the cruise or on the cruise, but for old married folks, not necessary. Of course the best thing you can do is just go ahead and get your passports, they are by far the best ID you can ever have at anytime, not just traveling, and you will never regret getting them.
Jim
Old December 17th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Karin Manning

Default Thanks

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I guess I wasn't quite clear. I have been married for some time, but have not renewed my passport with my married name. I was just wondering what other married women without passports do for ID.