Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Nanette

Default Never Cruised Before

Hi gang-

Any feedback on Carnival's HOLIDAY? They're offering what APPEAR to be great rates out of New Orleans. (11 nights from $685)

Someone on Frommer's forum said that the ship was old, dirty, broken-down, etc.

We've never taken a cruise before, and would hate to be terribly disappointed. We live in the New Orleans area. It looks like we can do either the Carnival HOLIDAY, INSPIRATION, or Royal Carribean's "RAPHSODY of the SEAS".

I'd sure appreciate any feedback......thanks

Nanette
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2002, 03:47 PM
BillG

Default Re: Never Cruised Before

Holiday is an older ship. We sailed on her in 1985. While I can't comment on reports of her physical condition, most cruiselines do an extraordinarily good job of preventive maintenance and are constantly cleaning, painting, recarpting and regularly refurbishing even their oldest ships. However, Inspiration or Rhapsody of the Seas might be better choices since both are newer and have many amenities not available on the Holiday. My personal preference would be Rhapsody of the Seas, but that might not be yours. Check out the brochures for both ships and check the boards for recent reviews to determine which might be a better match for you. Good luck and I am sure you will enjoy your cruise regardless of which ship you choose.
Old January 10th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Nanette,
Sorry, haven't cruised on Holiday, but here is a link to some great information for a "first cruiser", enjoy:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/first-time/index.cfm>

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old January 10th, 2002, 08:39 PM
sealady

Rapsody of the Seas would be my choice, but it depends somewhat on the price. Cruising is lots of fun whichever ship you choose. Have a great time!
Old January 10th, 2002, 09:06 PM
gobears

I'm with BillG and sealady. Rhapsody is a good choice. However, price can make a difference along with itinerary. We are cruising on Carnival for first time in April so really don't have a comparison. Keep checking reviews. I'm sure either one of Rhapsody or Inspiration would be great. Remember, just relax and enjoy, your cruising! Hope you have a great time
Old January 11th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Marnie

Here's a fun site that has lots of information about the Holiday including virtual tours

http://www.mytravelco.com/cruises/cr...p?SN=817&SC=HO
Old January 11th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Nanette

Default You guys are GREAT!

Thanks so much for your input!

I just started surfing around yesterday, checking the schedules, cruises, layout, etc.

It's absolutely MIND BOGGLING!

I'll probably be "bugging" y'all with a few more questions before booking. Thanks for taking the time to reply-

Nanette
Old January 11th, 2002, 09:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: You guys are GREAT!

HI, JUST THOUGHT I WOULD GET MY 2 CENTS WORTH IN.. HAHA WE HAVE OUR 4TH CRUISE COMING UP APRIL 2002. CANT WAIT... WE ARE GOING ON THE INSPIRATION. WE HAVE BEEN ON THE CELEBRATION. THAT WAS GREAT. THIS INSPRIATION IS BIGGER AND NEWER. I LOVE CARNIVAL. THEY HAVE ALWAYS DONE US VERY WELL. WE ARE SPENDING A DAY BEFORE THE CRUISE AND A DAY AFTER THE CRUISE IN NEW ORLEANS. WE LOVE NEW ORLEANS TOO. WITH CARNIVAL THE PRICE IS RIGHT AND THEY TREAT US LIKE QUEENS AND KINGS. NO COMPLAINTS EVER... HAVE A GREAT TIME..... CHAR
Old January 11th, 2002, 11:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: You guys are GREAT!

We just sailed the Holiday out of San Juan June 2001. The ship is old and it shows. Many passengers complained that there was a stench on board, and even though Carnival denies it, believe me-it is there. Now, I did hear that they were dry docking her last fall for a good cleaning. So that may not be a problem any longer. Also, the air in our cabin didn't work for the first 2 1/2 days (Carnival never said a word to us about it, but on the last day, they did give us a certificate for a 10% discount for another cruise).
We've sailed both the Celebration (out of New Orleans) and the Holiday. The ships are made the same. Even though they are old ships, and we will never sail them again, we love Carnival and will sail the line again. So, I said all that to say this. If you don't mind the age of the ship (some folks say "it's a CRUISE-who cares about the age") then I say go. I guess we are just plain spoiled Americans! You'll have a blast!
Stephanie
Old January 12th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Nanette

Default We've Decided.......

After talking to alot of folks, discussing it with our travel agent and surfing the net, we decided on an 11 day Western Carribean cruise on the HOLIDAY.

The thought of all of those ports was just TOO enticing. As our travel agent told us, being our first cruise, we'll be delighted......not having anything to compare it to.

Many thanks again.

Hey CHARLENE:

I live in the New Orleans area. If I can turn you onto a restaurant or bar, don't hesitate to email me!

Nanette
Old January 13th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Vicki C

Default Re: We've Decided.......

Nanette,
Welcome to cruising. You will never want to go anyother way again. We are hooked. I agree with you, the ship is a way to get to the various ports of call. I know everyone says go with the newer ships but I have been on older ships and they are fine. Go with an open attitude and you will have a ball.
Vicki