Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Malcolm

Default Carnival Spirit - ship vibration

In reading several reviews of previous cruises on the Spirit, one common thread seems to be, vibration of the ship, to the extent that some were unable to sleep well.

Does anyone know if the problem is still there, worse in any part of the ship, bother anyone during the day??
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2002, 11:15 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Carnival Spirit - ship vibration

we just got off the Spirit and felt a lot of motion - but - our cabin was in the back of the ship, (not on the side towards the back, but the actual back side of the ship). You didn't notice it at night when you went to sleep, (probably because we were so tired) but if you woke up during the night it was very noisy and a lot of motion. As for the rest of the ship it was the same as any other ship with the exception of the day we had 40mph winds and 10 foot seas, but then again, any ship would be rocking in that weather. We went to Bingo that day in the Pharoah's Palace which is located in the very front of the ship and some people were running out because they were getting sick. (you had to be very careful where you walked upon leaving Bingo!). Hope you have a great cruise!
Old January 12th, 2002, 12:56 AM
First Mate

Our cabin was mid-ship on Riviera deck. We did notice a vibration when we went to bed at night but it didn't make it hard for us to sleep. I heard some complaints about it from others, but I felt less motion on the Spirit that the other ships I had been on. We had a great time on the Spirit, hope you do too.
Old January 13th, 2002, 08:42 AM
holly

The ship has not been drydocked. What do you think? This is a definite engineering/design fault. From other threads I have followed I wonder if it can be "repaired" at all. We were in a mid level, mid ship cabin. In our previous 6 cruises all but one were in MUCH older ships with less than 1200 pax capacity. NEVER has there been so much vibration. There is a major diference between vibration and rolling in rough seas. Some rolling can be expected if there are sea problems, vibration is a constant problem a long as the ship i underway.
Old January 13th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Malcolm

Holly, thanks for the input.

How anoying was the vibration? Was it sufficient to make water in glasses shimmer?

We are booked for a 17 day cruise on 4/4/02 through the Panama Canal, it would be terrible if we were to have a problem with the vibration.

When were you on the Spirit? Did you have any "rough" weather and if so, how effective were the stabalizers?

I do appreciate you help and information.

Thanks

Andy Anderson
Old January 14th, 2002, 09:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Matt

I too would agree that there is alot of vibration and rolling on the Spirit. I think the reason it seams to roll more is the fact that that it is so long from stem to stern, while it is also quite narrow (just the right size for the panama canal), also the routes are very long for an 8 day cruise which means that they have to go at top speed the whole way in areas with high seas, strong currents, and high winds. Overall the rolling and vibrations did not detract from my experience this last week, and our family was in 8271 which is about as far a stern as one can go. Matt