Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Passenger

Default First Time Cruiser

Hi there!
I am a first time cruiser. I am going on my honeymoon on February 17 on the Destiny ship. I am afraid of getting sea sick. Does anyone have any advice for me of do's and don'ts? Especially about what to pack? I tend to overpack.

Cristy
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Colton Green

Default Re: First Time Cruiser

Cristy,
I just got off the Destiny's sister ship, the Victory, on Sunday, and there is a 90% chance that you WILL NOT get seasick. They are very big ships and you don't even feel it moving. You will have a blast!!!!! Pack whatever you think you will need. Last week was my wife's and my honemoon as well, and you will need a lot of clothes. My wife and I had two big suitcases and a hanging bag and wore everything we packed. There is a hairdryer in the room, but I would take your own. Hope that helps you some.
Old January 17th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Christi,
Congrats on the honeymoon cruise! You can pick up some bonnine as your local drug store, its sold over the counter and helps with sea sickness, I always have it, but so far have never had to use it.

Here is a link to some great information for a first cruise, should help with the packing questions and much more, enjoy:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/first-time/index.cfm>

Have Fun!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old January 17th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Passenger

Donna--
Thank you so much for the link to that site. I am going to check it out shortly. I had my doctor give me a prescription for the patch and I also bought the bracelets that are supposed to use accupuncture to help the motion sickness. Something has to work right?

Thanks again!
Old January 17th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the advice. That's how I intended to pack--one huge suitcase, a medium suitcase and a carry on.
Old January 17th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Robocop

Christy,
If you are not prone to car or air sickness then most likely you will have no problems with seasickness. It is just motion sickness after all. These cruise ships are very stable and have fins that the deploy to decrease motion even more. Many times you will not even know that you are moving unless there are fairly good seas. Personally, I like some movement as I find it most relaxing!.
Jim
Old January 17th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You are Welcome Cristy,
Like Robo mentioned, you may not even need anything, the ships today are very stable and unless there is severe weather, the Caribbean is very calm. Actually the link I sent you is for some articles within Cruisemates, but lots of good stuff, enjoy!

Tuesday Chat Host
Old January 17th, 2002, 11:06 PM
chetter

4 best ways to beat Seasickness

1: Don't fight it, if the Ship rocks go with the rocking make a Game of it its quite fun .

2 : FRESH AIR it does wonders go out side for a while

3: Get seasick pills

4: Don't Drink and eat greasy foods
Old January 19th, 2002, 08:55 PM
First Mate

Hi Cristy,
Pack as many clothes as you think you will need. You will use most of them. There is also a laundry room on the ship. We sailed on the Destiny in 1999, I got very sick the first night. After a morning of being sick, my husband helped me to the Doctor's office. They had to give me a shot, it was that bad. They also gave me Meclizine Hydrochloride. This is taken every 12 hours. It really worked great. If you get sick from surgery or riding in the car, you will need something before you get on the ship. Start this 1 to 2 days before you board.
Destiny was a beautiful ship! Congratulations and have a wonderful time.
Old January 20th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Passenger

Cristy -

We are sailing on the Destiny mid-May and I'd love to hear your thoughts on the trip when you return!! The ship looks wonderful and the ports are very exciting. I've been reading all about them. I'm so excited....I wish it were May already!! I hope you enjoy your honeymoon! :o)
Kristy
Old January 24th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Marnie

I like Chetter's answer, "don't fight it"; I have to agree, the boat movement was kind of fun. You don't know if it's the boat or the wine. I always said it was the boat.

I spoke with 1st officer of the Victory, he explained that the Eastern Carib. (through the Atlantic) is usually more rough than the Western Carib. I was on the Eastern Carib. We could feel it most of the time but it wasn't bad, I liked it. I don't recall anyone getting seasick.

Upon boarding the ship, the guy in front of us said he gets seasick from time to time and he swears by red apples and ginger ale. You'll find apples on the buffet, but ginger ale at the bar.

Since this is your honeymoon, you might be interested in the portraits. I found them to be a little annoying. People I was with said it was a hassle placing the order once they found the photos they liked (if they were able to find them all). If you are interested in the photos, the nicest ones will be on the 2 formal nights, so that may affect how you want to dress and if you want to fix your hair a certain way. Take what ever you need for that. Otherwise the rest is basic.

You shouldn't need pants except maybe for the way home. Swimsuits (2), tops, shorts, skirts or skorts should meet all the other dress codes and be enough for shore excursions.

You might want a light shirt to wear over things as certain parts of the ship are cool. For example, the disco will be quite cool are 1st because once it fills up, it gets hot. Same with the show lounge.
Old January 24th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the advice. It's very helpful!!! :-)