Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Vicki C

Default Health problems

Ok here is the deal. We leave on Feb2nd for seven days on the Pride, western trip. I had a mild heart attack last Sunday the 20th. I have called TA and she has informed Carnival that I need assistance at checkin. We had a Cat 4A guarantee and they were able to asssign us a room on the Empress Deck right up from the elevators. My question is am I missing something? Is there anything else I should do to be able to enjoy this cruise? Carnival offered a wheelchair but I refused and now wondering if I should have done so, I get very tired since this has happened. What do you all think? Sorry this is so long but this was the last thing I thought would happen to me. Thanks for all your help.
Vicki
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Health problems

Hi Vicki,
Sorry to hear about your health problem, but it may be a good idea to call the travel agent and have that wheel chair, just in case?
It doesn't hurt to have it, doesn't mean you will need it.

Hope you will still enjoy your cruise, just relax and take it easy!

Have Fun!

DOnna
Tuesday Chat HOst
Old January 25th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Roe-Z

Dear Vicky C,

So sorry to hear about your heart attack. You did get clearance from your doctor, right? Donna is right. Have the wheelchair "on call" just in case you need it. I will be going on the Pride in September and have mentioned to my TA about my husband and myself. My husband sleeps with a C-Pap (sleep apnea) and I carry portable oxygn (just in case). I was given forms that need to be filled out and sent back to the TA so that she can fax this to Carnival. I was told there would be someone to meet me (I don't need a wheelchair) and bring us to the "special needs desk". I will get more details closer to the date. Like how will they find me? The best thing is to be sure the med room (or whatever they call it on a ship) is aware of your situation. The ship's crew may also allow you to leave the ship first when in port so as not to be pushed or rushed getting on land. Going down is ok for me, but going up....not to good. Getting back on the ship shouldn't be too bad since returning is done is smaller numbers of people. I can only imagine, most people will probably be dragging their bodies back from having a busy day on their excursion anyway.

Have a wonderful time......relax and enjoy.
Old January 25th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Vickie...if you think the wheelchair would help you, take it. Hope all works out and you have a great cruise!
Rick
Old January 26th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Robocop

Vickie,
Let the TA get you wheelchair assistance. You don't HAVE to use it all the time and it is very nice to have when you get tired. Carnival, like all lines, is very good in helping those with special needs. This cruise may be just the thing to help you get back on your feet. All that relaxing sea air! Best of luck and if we can help, just let us know.
Jim
Old January 26th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Vicki C

Thank-you all for the good advice. I have decided to get the chair might not need it but if I do I'll have it. Room steward can find a place to put it I'm sure. There are papers at the TA I need to fill out and she will send to Carnival on Monday. I was told when we get to pier to find a Carnival Rep and they would take care of everything from there. I will have a copy of the form that is being sent to Carnival with me just in case. Everyone has been so good about all of this that it makes a person feel better just knowing people do care.
Thanks again, I will let you know when we get back how it went.
God Bless You All,
Vicki
Old January 26th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Vicki,
Good, glad you will have the chair waiting for you, it may come in handy, you would be amazed how much that fresh air gets you tired, at least it does to me.

Looking forward to hearing how everything went on your cruise, have a ball!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old January 26th, 2002, 04:17 PM
holly

Do book the wheelchair. It is a VERY long walk to the ship from the beginning of the terminal and a number of Long lines to check in. With a wheelchair they take you thru double quick w/ no lines and other express service. Did it for hubby 12/13. he has foot problems and can not walk quickly or any distance.
Old January 27th, 2002, 12:00 AM
Passenger

I'm not sure what the forms from Carnival include,
but make sure you have a letter from your doctor
saying that you can travel.