Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2002, 11:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Why are ALL captains Italian on Carnival

This may seem petty but EVERY single captain on EVERY ship and their mates are ALL Italian.

Is everyone else in the world incapable of driving the ship?

What is up with this?
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Robocop

Default Re: Why are ALL captains Italian on Carnival

Lee, certainly there are other nationalities but CCL likes to get their officers from Italy. Norwegian Cruise Lines and Royal Caribbean International has almost exclusively Norwegian Officers although I have seen a couple of British onboard RCI.
Jim
Old January 27th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Admiral

The Galaxy Captain (if I remember right) was Greek .
Old January 28th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Sue Sue

The Captain of the Paradise is Italian, however the officers were not only from Italy, but England and USA. On the last cruise in March we also had 1 female officer. It is very interesting. I wonder what it would be like to have a career in the cruise industry and work you way through the ranks? It must be something the a person really enjoys doing.
Old January 28th, 2002, 06:00 PM
mlbcruiser

First I want to say we did have a Capt. on the Destiny once who was not Italian. Norwegian, I THINK. That's the only time we have sailed Carnival but are about to again.

Along the same lines, though, we were wondering why there seems a preponderance of waiters, etc., from India or middle eastern countries. We were talking to a former Carnival waiter recently (now working in Vail, CO but about to return to cruising) who told us things had gotten quite "political". (We weren't complaining about the nationalities or anything. He just volunteered a lot of his opinions.) He mentioned there was someone in the organization who had received a promotion to head of all the waiters or something (hotel mgr.?) for the entire fleet. He is from India & has been quite partial to hiring & promoting from his area of the world. He said it seems like it is harder for other nationalities to fit into the "click" or get promoted as quickly now. Again, this is just his opinion. He didn't seem to be whining as he already has another job on a more upscale line waiting. We have noticed a gradual trend over the last 30 years in the dining rooms.

When we took our first cruise it was a ship called the Emerald Seas. Most all of the waiters & stewards were from the Caribbean it seemed. Later we began noticing more of a "mix" of nationalities. Lately we have seen many from Croatia & Turkey, whereas we NEVER did in the early years. Guess it depends upon who needs jobs & where the lines are recruiting. Though I have never sailed on Costa (but hope to!), I have read that their almost all Italian wait staff is now much more mixed nationality-wise. Whatever, I'm sure they are all good & am looking forward to the next cruise (March!).