Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2002, 12:24 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default What are the chances for an upgrade?

We are sailing March 24th on Elation, there are 4 of us in an interior cabin on the bottom floor? This is our first cruise, and I am a bit worried about the accomodations. Any one with tips on how we might get an upgrade, would be great!!!! Thanks in advance.
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: What are the chances for an upgrade?

Hi Lisa,
Here is a link to an article all about upgrades, hope this helps:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/con-affairs/upgrades.cfm>
Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old January 29th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Admiral

These cabins are regularly upgraded when the ship is not sold out. If it matters much you can keep in touch with your TA who can in turn keep on his Carnival Rep who may be able to move your name up the upgrade list. However, keep in mind Carnival is going to favor the repeat customers.

You'll have a great time regardless.

Thomas
Old January 29th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Therese

do they favour Aussies or put us in a special section?

do you think it is worth talking to our TA about it, or would these upgrades only apply to USA travellers?

Therese
Old January 29th, 2002, 12:48 PM
ehogan

Just returned from the Jan 20 sailing of the Elation. We were booked in a 1A (lowest category) on a guarantee basis and received a three category upgrade to a 4C.

I think this was partly due to the fact that this sailing was not sold out until the week before sailing and that we have sailed Carnival twice before.

If you book a cabin on a non-guarantee basis it is doubtful you will get an upgrade.

You will have a great time irregardless of your cabin. All the cabins are a good size and although the decor is fairly basic it is OK. All the cabins are the same unless you move into the suites. The price difference for most cabins is determined by the floor level and if it is outside/inside.

Our cruise was wonderful, the tours were good especially the 7 hour Sierra Madre tour in Mazatlan. This tour is very good if you are a bit of a history buff and it gets you out of the city which is not very attractive.

Food was excellent and service was good too. The disembarkation procedure was horrible but this may have been US immigration's fault and not Carnival's. If you are flying I would definately recommend your flight be scheduled for after 1PM.

Have a great time.
Old January 29th, 2002, 02:43 PM
First Mate

We were in a lower category on the Sensation and there were 4 of us (the kids were 10 and 6 at the time) and it was fine. I think all of Carnival's rooms are generally pretty good sized (relatively speaking), so unless you've got 4 adults, you should be fine.
Old January 29th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Yeoman

Although I can't say for sure I imagine if you spoke with your TA they should be able to do something for you. Depends on ship selling out not nationality Happy Sailing!!!
Old January 31st, 2002, 04:43 PM
First Mate

I have sailed on several carnival ships including this one. All inside cabins are identical from top to bottom. Approximately 184 sq ft. Cabins are excellent. The only difference in the bottom and the top are the number floors you must ride the elevator.

Also the bottom decks move less and create less sea sickness. Ships move from side to side. Hold your arm bent at the elbow and then move your arm left to right back and forth. Notice that the hand is moving much further than your elbow. Lower cabins sway less that top cabins.
Old February 3rd, 2002, 10:23 AM
Len

There is no 'science' to getting one! I may or may not happen so be prepared to get what you booked, and be happy if you do get upgraded! However, if you booked an inside you will only be upgraded most likely to another inside possibly on a higher deck. Generally they upgrade inside to inside, outside to outside...rarely do you hear of an inside getting upgraded to an outside. It can happen? Your best bet is to book at minimum a category you will be happy with if the upgrade does not come thru IMO. Good Luck!
Old February 3rd, 2002, 12:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thomas, if they favor repeat cruisers, then I've been rooked! I've sailed seven times on CCL and have been upgraded on once (on my third cruise). I think they like to upgrade the first-timers to keep them coming back. But, really, it doesn't matter to me if they upgrade me because unless they put me in an oceanview instead of the interior that I usually book, then it's only a matter of what deck you're on because the interior cabins are all alike no matter where you are. Now, if they wanted to upgrade me to a suite, that would be another story. !