Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Passenger

Default Ruins Tour in Cozumel

Does anyone have any thoughts suggestions or experience with the excursion to the Mayan ruins in Cozumel/Playa de carmen? I believe that a tender ride is required and am not sure if this may cause me to get seasick? Also does anyone know the cost? Btahroom availability on bus and at ruins??
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Ruins Tour in Cozumel

The cost should include lunch and entrance fee into the ruins at Tulum. I highly recommend this tour to experience this long lost culture. The ferry/tender ride is less than a half hour. Take Bonine if you are worried. Our buses did not have lav., facilties but we stopped half way at a Bazaar site which did have rest rooms. Don't forget to bring bottled water too as it is usually hot. Wear a hat and light clothing. On the return tender, they may even drop you off in town for shopping in Cozumel. Dont' miss Poncho's Backyard for a cool drink, it is behind Los Cincos del Sol.
Bon Voyage
Old February 7th, 2002, 12:25 PM
First Mate

We tried this twice, on two separate Carnival cruises. The first time there was bad weather (November, 1994). They loaded up the tender with about 100 passengers, and we hit the waves. We thought we were dead. Grown men were vomiting (and I don't mean over the sides!!). We were soaked by large waves coming over the sides of the boat, and were hanging onto the benches of the tender for dear life. We saw no crew, there were no life preservers, and even the brackets for life extinguishers were empty -- the tender was a junk. After about 10 minutes, the tender turned around and we reboarded (we were worried that they weren't going to be able to get the tender tied back to the ship!!). We were drenched and salt encrusted, and weaved back to our cabins for showers. Carnival credited our accounts with no arguments, and we were able to wobble off the ship for a 1/2 day in Cozumel. This is the kind of stuff that makes your cruise an adventure!!!

The second time (July, 2000), my husband took the kids to Tulem without me. It was a beautiful sunny day, and a newer tender was being used. My husband said the ruins were fascinating and well worth the trip. He did say that they were very exposed and miserably hot. The kids wore their bathing suits under loose clothing, and enjoyed the little beach at the ruins. They did buy and need to use the bottled water. Their excursion was late getting back to the ship, and they missed the early seating dinner. They also mentioned that they were hungry as the day went on, and wished they had taken some fruit or cereal boxes at breakfast for a snack.

Have a wonderful time!
Old February 7th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

We went last year, and the cost was $68.00. No meals were provided, and the ship encouraged us to take the water in our rooms ($2.75). The tender ride was OK. The bus was not air conditioned. It was a cloudy day in June, so it did not get too hot. The bus stops midway for bathroom and it seems like a bathroom at the site befor you go in. They charge $10.00 if you take a video camera, but nothing was charged just to take a regular camera.
I am a big ancient ruin fan myself, and it was well worth the trip. The tour guide on the bus (who said he was a history teacher at a university and guide during the summer) gave alot of information regarding the mayan culture and comparison to other pyramid builders and similar cultures and his theories of how the site was built. Hope you enjoy your trip.
heather
Old February 7th, 2002, 05:14 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark

Keith, Ive been to cozumel dozens of times and probably 12 to playa del carmen to get to tulum. ferry conditions vary depending upon weather. if u are prone to seasickness u might want to reconsider. ferries are old ard tend to be rocky, it is long bus ride some not air conditioned , interesting to see but if uve seen ruins before, there all the same, nicest part is view and beach near tulum. any questions email me at wildjordy@aol.com
Old February 7th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Default NanaTravel

NanaTravel..I think I asked before but have forgot..will write it down this time .....when you auto tip.....how much is it a day per person and how is that amount distributed ( to who and how much)?
Thanks
Rick
Old February 7th, 2002, 11:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

The tender ride to Playa del Carmen IS ROUGH. We just did that two weeks ago. TAKE A PATCH! We didn't get sea sick, but luckily we'd NOT eaten or probably would have. It's a good 45 minute tender.
Old February 8th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Admiral

I'd love to know what you find out on the Mayan excursion. My two girlfriends and I are going there in April.
Old February 8th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Admiral

exactly right.......we did the tender ride Jan 2000. Very rough trip due to seas and the way the tenders are constructed. The patch is a good idea for that crossing.
Rick