Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2002, 08:29 PM
Passenger

Default booking w/o cabin assignment

Has any one booked a cabin w/o having a cabin assignment in the hopes of getting an up grade? How did it work out?
thanks
mkholtzhower@yahoo.com
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2002, 10:28 AM
First Mate

Default Re: booking w/o cabin assignment

yes, we did it on the Paradise (12-16) and were upgraded. on two
previous carnival cruises we booked specific rooms and did not get
an upgrade. i've heard you have a better chance for an upgrade if you book without being assigned a room.
Old February 13th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Admiral

We always book without an room with good success to date. On the Paradise we went from a 6B guarantee to a 6E and a NY cruise on the Victory went from a 6A guarantee to an 8E. On the next cruise on the Destiny we booked an 8B guarantee and that's what we got. However on our last cruise we went from an 11 to a 12, and our kids who were booked in two 8A guaranteed cabins ended up with 8E's. Your travel agent should be able to assist and give you an idea of your chances. A lot depends on how early you book and how full the ship is. Hope this helps.

Happy Sails.

Karen
Old February 14th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Vicki C

Just back from the new Pride, we booked a 2A guarantee and ended up with a 4A. Same room just up on Empress deck instead of Riviera. We were very pleased with the location of the room.
Vicki
Old February 14th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Bill Bob

Always do the guarantee! 9 out of 10 times you will get an upgrade - can pay an oceanview (window) price and end up with a balcony or even a small suite.
Old February 14th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Admiral

What? lol....thats not true. What do you base those stats and upgrades on? The chances of EVER getting upgraded from OV to a suite are slim to none (unless you pay for it).
Old February 14th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Maia, the chances of getting an upgrade by booking a "guarantee" are very very slim. Especially with ships sailing at full or near full capacity. I am fairly sure the "guarantee" is more for the cruise lines advantage than yours. It allows them more flexability in filling cabins they want to fill. Upgrades will happen and someone will win the lottery too <G>. AND if it does happen.....an upgrade will almost always be inside to inside ...outside to outside...etc. The best thing to do is book what you will be happy with and don't depend on a free upgrade to get that.
Rick
Old February 15th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have cruised Carnival 8 times, and have always been upgraded. The last time we cruised (which was on the Fantasy) I booked at a category 6A and we were upgraded to a suite at no additional price. I always book at a category 6A just for the outside window and the view and have never been disappointed with our rooms.
Old February 15th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Spikey

Laugh all you want but guess you're not very lucky - I've been very lucky with upgrades - was upgraded back in Jan on the Fantasy from a 6D Oceanview to a Cat 11 and had the same thing happen on the Majesty of the Seas last fall - Have to buy a GUARANTEE cabin w/out a cabin assignment - dah! Of course you won't just get an upgrade without paying for it - the key is to buy the guarantee cabin which was what the original message asked about.
Old February 15th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Spikey

Same thing for me - but I guess Rick, the "expert" hasn't been very lucky...................
Old February 15th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Spikey

Same thing for me - but I guess Rick, the "expert" hasn't been very lucky...................
Old February 15th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Admiral

dah? Spikey? lol......read the message again...dah? lol ya gotta love the little devils lol
Old February 15th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Admiral

obviously the ship was not near or at full capacity.....what I was taking issue with was Billy Bobs stats that he pulled out of his hat.
Old February 15th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Admiral

I refuse to debate with someone named "Spikey" lol
Old February 15th, 2002, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Sure Spikey....you get an upgrade everytime you cruise and you dont pay for it......lol.....I had a dog named Spikey one time lol
Old February 18th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

The last two cruises our family took, Alaska on NCL, and Eastern Caribbean on HAL, I booked multiple cabins on guarantee, and yes, we did get upgraded several categories. Our upcoming Western Caribbean cruise on Carnival's Pride, I booked 4 cabins on guarantee for extended family. My husband & I, however, booked a specific balcony cabin. We did not want to gamble this time. We knew we positively wanted a balcony cabin, and with the ship filling up quickly, decided to lock one in.