Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Kim
Default Dress

We will be sailing on the Facination in March. What night can we expect to be formal? My husband will wear a suit and tie, I will wear an evening gown, my 13 year old son will wear a sport coat with tie, and my daughter 12 years old a dressy dress. Is this appro.? On other nights I thought I would wear cocktail type pant suits, my daughter skirts/top or dress pants/top, my son and husband will wear khakis with a polo.
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Marnie

Default Re: Dress

It may depend on the lenght of the cruise and the itinerary. Call 1-800-Carnival and ask them about your specific sailing. I did that before my cruise and they stressed that there are 2 Formal nights and no Semi-formal night.

As an example, I just got off a 7 day eastern Caribbean in January. The 2nd night was the 1st formal night and the 2nd to last night was the 2nd formal but most guests recognized this as semi-formal; wore sport coats rather than suits/tuxes. As far as the dress code is concerned, guests are expected to be dressed up for dinner and any pre-dinner cocktail parties they may have on the formal nights. Many changed into more casual clothes before going to a show.

On all non-formal nights, usually dockers and polo shirts are good. The Carnival Capers newsletter is put in your room every day and there're also placed all around the ship. This explains the dress code for dinner that night. They say no shorts, T-shirts or tank tops. They did not say anything about jeans so lots of people wore jeans to dinner on non-formal nights.

The 1st night on the cruise was very casual since some people still hadn't received their luggage. Many wore shorts.
Old February 13th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sounds like your clothes will be fine for formal night. I am not an expert, having only been on one cruise, but our 7 day cruise had two dressy nights. The second and the last nights were our formal nights. A lot of the men wore the same suit, just changed ties.
Old February 13th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just curious. I have heard the statement "since some people still hadn't received their luggage in time for dinner" many, many times. How many of you have not received your luggage in time to change for the 1st dinner. I have been on 9 cruises and it has never been a problem (just lucky, I guess
Old February 13th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Trudy

Default Re: Dress & Luggage

It sounds like you and your family will be dressed appropriately for dinner. Dinner on board is a special occasion and most people seem to think of it in that light and dress accordingly. Whether I change into something more casual after dinner, really depends on my shoes. If strappy heels are digging into my feet, then I change. They look great but some of them are downright painful. Sorry, I've deviated from cruise talk. Barry asked about luggage. In five cruises we have also been lucky and it seemed that by the time we got back from lunch on deck, our luggage had arrived. However, on our last cruise my daughter and son-in-law's luggage arrived around 11PM. Carnival people get telling us they thought it didn't make the ship but was left in Puerto Rico; however, my daughter finally spotted in the hallway near the Photo Gallery along with many others. Have a great vacation everyone!
Old February 14th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Kim, this is Karen. If I remember correctly-you're going to Mexico and Key West. If you leave on a Monday -Tuesday will be the formal night.
Old February 14th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Kim

Karen,
Hello! I called the 800 number and Tuesday the 2nd day is our formal night. I think we are all set dress wise...I ended up getting a rather "slim fitting" glittery evening gown with the back out...looks like a padgent dress.. and gold sandles to match! I figured that with me turning 40 that week I better take advantage of my opportunities to do so before I am old and wrinkled!!! I realize I will probably be so cold in that dining room I won't be able to eat so perhaps I will look for a wrap. I think I am finding out that getting ready to cruise is probably as much fun as the cruise!!! Thank you for all your wonderful advice!!!

kim
Old February 19th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Marnie

In answering Barry's question, most people had their luggage, some may have gone to their room several times throughout the day and didn't have it, so didn't bother going back right before dinner to check. I think the luggage arriving late is probably more of an issue these days as the ships keep getting bigger. There were 3000 to 4000 people on our cruiseship. Many people had more than one piece. Imagine the volume.

Also, the tags with your cabin number can tear off very easily. I put 3 tags on each bag. Just to make sure.
Old February 25th, 2002, 10:36 AM
First Mate

Kim,
I was on the Facination last August. Nice! The outfits you described are typical of what I saw on the ship. I dressed in a sea green silk dress on formal nights and did not feel out of place at all. I hope you enjoy your cruise! The cruise director is WONDERFUL!