Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Goldesq

Default upgrade-prices drop-I am left hanging.

I am booked on an 8I gty on 3/3 sailing of Spirit. I just saw on my TAs website (and other cruise websites) the price drop a total of more then $400 total for our trip. I called the TA, she called Carnival and they offered a measly $25 pp credit. She said upgrades were impossible at this point because 9As are 400 more pp. I was dumbfounded and thought the whole situation stunk. I called Carnival, were surprised they even spoke to me, and they upgraded me to a 9A and gave me a cabin number; I asked about a cat 11 or 12 but they politely refused explaining that I was within penalty period (which I have never heard about before). I took the 9A because it was a take it or leave it deal. I now have gone home to check the prices of 9A and see that the 8s have even dropped lower!?! What is going onI honestly feel taken. Is there any recourse? I called Carnival 2x since and they refuse to spk to me because I have booked through a TA.
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Robocop

Default Re: upgrade-prices drop-I am left hanging.

Goldesq,
Carnival has been VERY generous! Your TA is the one that SHOULD be handling all your requests so you were done a very nice favor by CCL by them getting you a 9a directly without the use of your TA. The TA should have done this for you. If you look at all the documents that you received during booking and read all the conditions you would see the part about penalty timeframes and that after final payment no adjustments are made. They did a very nice thing by getting you this upgrade, more than most would do so be happy, you were not taken at all.
Jim
Old February 16th, 2002, 06:16 PM
First Mate

I have to agree with Robocop. If you booked with Carnival, I understand that they do offer a lowest price guarantee if they drop their own prices. Of course, you'll find that TAs can usually beat the Carnival prices.

Unless you have a "lowest price guarantee," when you buy your cruise you're purchasing a ticket at that specified price. As you get closer to your cruise time, you'll probably see even more special prices on empty cabins. . . it can be very frustrating if you were hoping for the very best deal -- but only Carnival knows what the very best deal will ever be (and on which cabin??) on any cruise.

That's one of the reasons that comparing ticket prices on cruises is sometimes considered to be in poor taste. You don't want to spoil your own or someone else's cruise by finding out that they got a much better deal on the same cabin. If everyone compared tickets, they'd vary widely (just like airplane fares on the same plane).

On the good side, most Carnival cabins (except the suites, and inside versus outside) are essentially the same. Only the deck changes. Since some people prefer the lower decks anyway since they're supposedly more stable and/or closer to the embarkation decks for port visits, and some people prefer the higher decks since they might be closer to certain amentities, there's something for everyone without anyone feeling that they're short-changed.

Since you booked a category 8, I'd enjoy my category 9 and stop looking at the prices. Just pack and enjoy the trip.
Old February 17th, 2002, 07:18 PM
sealady

Exactly, the cabins are all the same on Carnival. The "less desirable" ones are on the lower more stable decks... one or two more stops on the elevator. Don't fret enjoy your cruise!