Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Bob & Linda

Default Galveston pre-cruise

Can anyone give us info on a pre-cruise stay in Galveston. We're
looking at a night at the Tremont. Any info on the Historic Strand
District would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Galveston pre-cruise

Here is the number for Tremont House 1-409-763-0300 Rate range $116-$350 Visitor information www.galvestoncvb.com Historic Downtown Strand Partnership 1-409-763-7080. I hope this helps you. When are you going on your cruise?
Old February 20th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Bob & Linda

Thanks Lisa. The cruise is March 25.
Old February 22nd, 2002, 02:05 PM
Kent & Debbie

My family and I are on the same cruise as you aboard the Celebration departing the 25th. I booked a pre-cruise nights stay @ The Tremont thru expedia.com where I found the best rate. We are first time cruisers and have never been to Galveston before so I cannot offer you much help other than that. We are really looking forward to this!
Old February 22nd, 2002, 11:52 PM
jhale

A couple of attractions you might go see in Galveston: The railroad musem & the tallship Elyssa.. They are both located in the historical district (The Strand as us Houstonians know it) We were on the Celebration in Nov. and are booked again May2. Be warned, getting on the ship is easy, however the port of Galveston had a very poorly organized debarkation system.. Actually, not really a system at all. Be patient! Have a great trip!
Old February 23rd, 2002, 02:04 PM
Bob & Linda

Thanks for the info jhale........

Kent and Debbie- we are also now booked at the Tremont on
03-24-02 and will be sailing with you on the 25th. This is our
3rd cruise. Were from Wisconsin and bringing our 16 yr old
son this trip. Where are you from and are there any children
in your group? We're also looking forward to the trip and started
a countdown........If you have any questions as first time cruisers
just ask and we'll try to answer.
Old February 23rd, 2002, 11:26 PM
Liztoybiz

Hi guys,
We lived in Galveston for ten years so I have a couple of suggestions that might make your time more enjoyable. A 'touristy' but wonderful restaurant is Gaidos and its located on the Seawall. Their soft-shell crab entree is my favorite. If you don't want something that pricey but still want good seafood, Hills Pier 19 is within walking distance from the Strand (where the Tremont is) and they have good po-boys and other seafood and you can sit outside. Mainly fried dinners though. Also, Yagas on the Strand is good, esp. for lunch but they often have a band at night, so thats fun as well. Our favorite though, is The Phoenix Bakery (23rd and Strand I believe). They have the most WONDERFUL breakfasts. Mouth's watering just thinking of their french toast made with crushed cornflakes and fresh whipped cream and strawberries...sigh...
Need ideas for places to shop? Galleries to go into? (Leslies Gallery-one street from the strand) has a great mix of things.
Hope you have a super cruise, and let us know how it is, please.
We are also booked on the five night departing April 13th, and its a surprise for hubby. Have fun!!

Liz
Old February 24th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Bob & Linda

Thanks for all the info Liz.
Old February 25th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Kent & Debbie

Bob & Linda: We are from St. Louis and my family includes my 17yr. old son and (2) daughters ages 15 & 13--that is assuming I can pry the telephone from my daughters hands long enough to leave. Thank you for your offer of answers to any questions that I might have. What I am most unsure about is relating to shore excursions. In your opinion are they worth what Carnival charges or are you better off making your own arrangements? They seem pricey, but I will spend the money if they are the best bet. Also, during shore excursions, do you just wear your swimsuits ashore or are there places to change and secure your personal items? Thanks in advance for your help.
Kent & Debbie
Old February 25th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Bob & Linda

Kent and Debbie, Re: Carnival shore excursions: On our previous
two cruises we thought their tours were well worth the money, It's
enjoyable to not worry about transportation and have seen lots of points of interest . But it was just the two of us, a family of five
is a lot more $ to consider. We were in Cozumel 1st trip and booked the Tulum Ruins tour and thought it was awesome. The down side was that it consumed most of the day and really did not see much of Coz. so this trip we plan to do the beach thing in the
a.m. maybe go back to the ship for lunch and go into town and shop etc. Our TA gave us info regarding beaches in Coz. Sol Caribe is near the cruise ship pier within walking distance. San Francisco Beach and Palancar Beach are nicer and need to take
a taxi (about $2 pp) Best beach, but most crowded is Chankanaab National Park(most acessible place to snorkel and
other attractions there as well.) This is probably what we'll do on our own. In Calica we would like to go to Xcaret and have not decided if we should do it on our own or book it. Carnival will provide you with more info on the ship as well as info meetings on the ports of call.
Old February 26th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Kent & Debbie

Bob & Linda: Thanks for your help. I think we probably will just sit down as a family and decide what shore excursions to do. After Carnival sends us our info., I will let e-mail you details and if you and your family are interested, stop by and have a drink. Maybe our sons might want to hang out. See you then.
Kent & Debbie
Old March 5th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Kent & Debbie

Bob & Linda: We are booked into cabins M90 & M86 and have late dining. If you are interested and have time, stop by and say hi. Thanks again for all your help.
Kent & Debbie
Old March 5th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Bob and Linda

Kent and Debbie. Sounds nice. We have also booked a room at
the Tremont for Sunday night. Our cruise documents arrived
yesterday. Have no idea if we have early or late seating for dining.
Our cabin is U159. If you have any other questions feel free to
email us at boblinda403@hotmail.com
Bob and Linda