Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2002, 05:57 AM
MortgageChick

Default Switching your reservation to another agency

I have a question about transferring a reservation to another agent. Do all cruise lines allow this? Can you get your own reservation number from the Cruise Line if the agent won't disclose it? If you are booked in a guarantee on group space can the reservation be transferred and in what situation would the reservation not be transferrable.

The reason I ask , is that at times there are deals through some large impersonal on line agencies that the smaller agents can't match, but then one can become frustrated with not having phone calls returned,

I am not talking about a few hundred dollars difference which I would pay to have the service, but rather $ 800 per cabin.

Any input appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Switching your reservation to another agency

HI MC,
A lot of times certain travel agencies will reserve a group of cabins for a group booking. You have to book through that agency in order to get the group price, so you could not change agents and get that same group price. I think in order to change your reservation, you'd have to cancel with the first and then re-book again with the second travel agent. Good luck and hope you find the deal and the travel agent you can be happy with.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 25th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Robocop

As Donna said, sometimes these great prices you see by the larger companies is because they actually bought a number of cabins and then they are rebating part of their commission to offer these prices. They take the chance of not being able to sell all of the cabins but as large as they are they can be offered through what they call their 'consortium' and they seldom get stuck. A small TA just cannot do this. You CAN transfer a booking from one agent to another BUT, if the price is one that only a certain agency can offer, then no can do. Understand that many of the larger internet companies do have some wonderful agents working for them that take a great deal of interest in assisting you as much as they can. Sometimes you get a dud though just as you can in a smaller TA. Here is a nice thing though, with a wonderful website like Cruisemates we can usually answer your questions! We just can't act as a TA. <G>
Jim
Old February 27th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Admiral

$800 difference?? Sounds like an excessive yield spread to me. I'm not sure exactly how far along you are in your deal, but here is what I did a few months ago. I noticed that the price of my trip was significantly less in the cruise immediately following the one I was booked on. I called the agent and said I was pulling out and going to book the following cruise because it was $600 less for the same cruise.Within 30 minutes I got a $700 discount to stay on the booking I was on. You never know. Most of the lines will wheel and deal if you force their hand, and of course assuming there is availibility.