Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2002, 11:47 PM
Passenger

Default Snorkel Equipment - Eastern Caribbean

We will be on the 3/9 Pride (Eastern) and plan to do some snorkeling. We are thinking about going out on our own rather than taking the ship's excursions. Does anyone know how easy or difficult it is to rent equipment if not going through the ship? We have our own but it would be nice not to have to carry it around if it's easy and relatively inexpensive to find rentals. I'm sure that, if anywhere, we'll want to go to St. John to snorkel. Does anyone have any specific info. on rentals there?
Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Snorkel Equipment - Eastern Caribbean

Hi Teri,
If you go to St. Johns/Trunk Bay, they do rent snorkeling equipment right on the beach, sorry don't know the cost. YOu may also want to pick up a set from your local sports store before you leave, it just about pays for itself in just 2 uses?? Just a thought, enjoy your cruise!

Tuesday Chat Host
Old March 4th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Using a rental snorkeing is like using a communal toothbrush and a badly fitted mask will ruin your experience. If anything, bring your own mask and snorkel and rent fins.
Old March 4th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Passenger

Hey Teri, we are also on the same cruise with you and are thinking about doing the snokeling on our own in St. Johns and I have about figured out that it will be best to go to Target or Walmart and pay the $25 (each) to get our own gear. It comes in a bag so would be easy to carry. We will be going to Destin Florida several times this year so I can justify the cost.

Hope to see you there...
Old March 4th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Yeoman

Hi: I agree with Bill. We rented on Barbados (NASTY) and then we bought our own on Antegua. They (rentals) don't do a very good job of cleaning the mask and tube and don't really care. If you don't mind sharing toothbrushes with someone from Toledo....it should be ok. Bob
Old March 4th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Passenger

Thanks for putting it into a different perspective for me! We will definitely bring our own! We actually already have our own equipment but were thinking solely from the standpoint of convenience and not having to lug around 4 sets of equipment. I never really thought about it being like a communal toothbrush. Yuk! Thanks again to all! See ya onboard, Shawn!
Old March 4th, 2002, 10:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

It is really worth it to bring your own... good choice! I also suggest purchasing a snorkel vest, they are great, and a water proof bag that you can tie to your waist or neck to protect your valuables, etc. We are going to do the same thing at St. John, we are on the Carnival Destiny, which leaves 3/17, and we are going to be in St. Thomas/St. John on 3/18....Happy snorkeling!
Old March 5th, 2002, 08:20 PM
First Mate

Shawn - I have a sister in Ft. Walton & we love to snorkel - is the snorkeling very good up that way? We live in Tampa & haven't found any close to us that is very good. Ft. Lauderdale was okay, but I guess after cruising in Carribean - it's hard to compare. But anyway - do you like snorkeling in Destin? Thanks for the info. nancy