Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Passenger

Default divorced-note??

Hi all-

I am divorced and and I am going on the holiday in late may and want to know if it is mandatory that I have a note from my ex that says that I can take my children out of the country.
Thanks in advance
Nicole
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2002, 10:53 PM
Sabrina

Default Re: divorced-note??

You'd probably want to get a notarized letter with the other parent's permission just in case. Doesn't look "mandatory" for cruises but it probably couldn't hurt. Check with your travel agent, and try this link for more info:

http://www.familytravelforum.com/soloparent.html
Old March 6th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Possible you might not even get on your flight without it depending on where it is going . Regulations regarding these things have nothing to do with the cruise line but do involve state laws , immigration laws ( not only ours but the countries you are visitng).
I have even heard stories of problems when both parents were actually present, but , for whatever reason the names on the documents were different than the childs( ie unmarried parents). Why bother with the hassles( except of course that getting the letter from the ex is a hassle but, that's what lawyers are for).
Hope it all works out.
Old March 6th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Yeoman

You are supposed to have it. Most likely no one will ask to see it, but better be safe then sorry. You wouldn't want to be denied boarding the ship because of that.
The law is in affect to keep people from "kidnapping" their own kids, taking them out of the country without the other parent knowing how or where to find them.
Old March 6th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi..
Im taking my kids on a cruise this Aug. I have 2 children and 2 step children. I am definatley getting a notarized letter signed by my ex husband and my husbands ex wife to cover both sets of kids. Alot of travel agents have form letters that you can get from them and alot of agents are notary publics. This is required by law even though they very well might not even ask for it i am going to be prepared! I have seen parents trying to fly out at airports there were turned away... I dont know about you guys but i would CRY if i couldnt go on my cruise!
Old March 8th, 2002, 12:25 AM
slam

Depends on several factors. First and foremost is what is stated in your divorce settlement. Don't recommend your departure out of country with children without his written acknowledgement if not also his approval. If you're going to Mexico, a parent letter is mandatory. Travel agent, cruise line, and/or consulates office could advise you about other destinations.

Congrats on selecting a cruise. I'm taking my boys this coming New Year's aboard the Elation.......which also required a letter from their Mom. Unforged of course. Oooh, don't forget the birth certificates or passports.

Happy sailing.
Old March 10th, 2002, 06:08 AM
MortgageChick

I have been divorced 14 years and my daughter will be 18 in September. NEVER leave the country without a notarized letter. I have seen many people disappointed at the airport because they could not board a flight. My daughter travels on her own passport and I have full custody, but I never skimp on the letter.