Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 11th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Destiny

Default Free Upgrades

I read a message sometime back that gave tips on how to get a free upgrade on cruises. Unfortunately I can't find the information when I need it (of course). Has anyone else gotten free upgrades, if you did please tell me how. I'm going on my first cruise in April, and would like a window versus a port hole. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Free Upgrades

At a time when ships are travelling at or near full capacity, the chances of a free upgrade are very slim to none. As many say here, book what you will be happy with and don't rely on a free upgrade to get it. Good luck. Keep an eye on prices and you may find that a window is'nt that much higher than a porthole.
Rick
Old March 11th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Passenger

On 2/11 my wife and I booked a cruise for 3/27, we had an ocean view room. Just recieved a e-mail today stating that we've been upgraded from cat. 6A to cat. 8G. Don't know how it happened, I wonder if it is due to 1st cruise on Carnival and having paid almost 2 months ahead of time in full. From what I hear, most cruise lines over-book the lower priced rooms knowing that the nicer rooms won't sell, and then the early bookers get upgraded first, but usually within the same class. Some folks get upgrade 1 or 2 times during the cruise. Hope for the best!
Old March 12th, 2002, 04:27 AM
First Mate

Carnival is celebrating its 30th Anniversary and they are upgrading everyone that had made reservations before a certain date in early Feb. I was upgraded from a 8A to any cat through 8E on my cruise to nowhere in June. You must have been in that time frame. Deb
Old March 12th, 2002, 02:36 PM
julie t.

Were these upgrades the result of guarantee bookings rather than a stated cabin? We started direct w/Carnival then transferred the booking to an online agency for a better price. This was in January and paid in full by the end of the month. We have two cabins, one balcony and one quad across the hall, Verandah deck on Triumph for April 6th. Since our cabins were assigned, do we have any chance at this upgrade? Julie
Old March 12th, 2002, 03:41 PM
hondar

I think most of the upgrades on Carnival go to the "guarantees" not the rooms already assigned.....but I'm not sure.
Old March 12th, 2002, 04:54 PM
ehogan

Upgrades are almost exclusively given to those with a reservation that is on a "guarantee" basis. If you book on a guarantee basis, your chances for an upgrade are increased if you book as early as possible and if you are a former passenger.
Old March 12th, 2002, 06:03 PM
First Mate

NO My upgrade was a cabin assignment from the start. I paid for an 8A and was given 8C. I had seen a Sunday Paper that Carnival was having their 30th Anniversary. Call Carnival! Ask about your ship may only be some ships and certain sailings but mine is in June out of NYC. Deb