Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hidden charges, flex dining and soft drinks

I was reading the Carnival review on this site that mentions a $9.75 pp per day charge for alternative dining? Does this mean they charge you if you go to the buffet? And a soft drink card that can be purchased for 7 day cruises for $29.95 for unlimited soft drinks. Yikes! that will add up. We are a family of 4 with 2 small kids and may want to use the buffet, esp for the kids. Also $30 is a little high for sodas. Has anyone experienced this on carnival and can you explain it to me? We previously sailed on Royal Carrib.on which sodas were included and there were no extr charges for buffet.
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Hidden charges, flex dining and soft drinks

Hi Margie,
No the $9.75 is for the alternative restaurant, not the buffett, you can all eat at the buffet at no extra charge, also the main dinning rooms too. As for the "soda" cards, if your kids do drink a lot, there are times when its actually cheaper than buying the drinks as you go and have them on your sign and sail card. You can also drink coffee, tea, and fruit drinks as no charge too, so if you kids like fruit drinks, then you won't be spending a lot on sodas. Also, everytime you order a drink, an automatic 15% tip is adding on to the bill and thats for soda's too, so sometimes by purchasing a soda card, you can save.

Happy Cruising.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old March 15th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Kellyann

Default Re: Alternative Dining?

Does the Carnival Spirit have alternative dining? What exactly is alternative dining? I know they have the upscale restaurant where you pay $20 but I don't think that is what you are referring to.
Old March 15th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Alternative Dining?

That is what is being referred to as alernate dining.
Old March 15th, 2002, 04:17 PM
First Mate

When my husband & I last cruised, we hardly purchased any soft drinks at all, we always got the fruit punch which, as someone else mentioned, was free. I think that is a bit costly for soft drinks, even for the card.
Happy Cruising!
Old March 15th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Margie wrote:

And a soft
> drink card that can be purchased for 7 day cruises for $29.95
> for unlimited soft drinks. Yikes! that will add up. We are a
> family of 4 with 2 small kids and may want to use the buffet,
> esp for the kids. Also $30 is a little high for sodas.

Though I can't remember the price.. the cost of soda cards for kids is less. The $30 is for adults. QUITE high.. On Princess we paid $17.50 for a 7day cruise

We previously sailed on Royal Carrib.on which sodas were
> included and there were no extr charges for buffet.

RCI has sodas included at dinner.. not included in the cost of the fare for the entire cruise.

Carnival has no charge for the buffets.

Regards,
Kuki
Old March 16th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Hidden charges, flex dining and soft drinks

The soda cards for those under 21 are $19.99 for a 7 day cruise. Soda cards for those over 21 are $29.99. Basically if you plan to drink more then one soda a day then the cards are less expensive then buying sodas one at a time. With the card you get a glass of soda, not a can or bottle. We don't get the soda cards because the lemonade and fruit punch are fine for the week. I believe they have iced tea, lemonade, fruit punch and apple juice available all the time for free and orange juice only in the morning.

I thought $9.75/day was the tips that are added to your sign and sail card, you can have them adjusted as you see fit or removed and pay in cash. I thought that to dine in the reservations only restaurant was $20/person/meal.

The buffets and regular dining room are all included in the cruise fare you have already paid.
Old March 16th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Judy and Steve

The $9.75 refers to the gratuity that CCL posts to your account. It is per person/per day. You can change the amount as you see fit or add to the tip the last night, which is what we did. You can ask the purser for a breakdown of who gets what.
--Judy
Old March 17th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Marnie

Lemonade, coffee, iced tea and at least one kind of juice is available 24/7 on the Lido deck and is included in the cost of the cruise. Milk is also available free of charge, but it may only be available during meals. There are several different beverage stations on the Lido deck, they seem to have different juices. One may have apple while another has orange or grapefruit or fruit punch. I saw no reason for a soda card. I can't imagine any parent allowing a kid to drink $20 worth of soda in one week especially when there's all the juice available. If you pay for each soda, it's $1 a glass or $1.50 a can.

As far as the alternative dining, it depends on the ship.
Old March 19th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Admiral

I think you have your statistics; Kids soda card $19.95, Adults $30. The $9.75 gratuity per person is for: $3.50 cabin steward and waiter each, $2.00 is for the Assistant waiter and .75 is for the buffet service staff. If you go to the Alternative supper club, it is a $20 per person fee plus you can add a gratuity. You may wish to check to see if the kids are charged the same daily gratuity fee automatically too. You have the option of changing this automatic charge as well. Even though kids need care too, that can really add up for you. Maybe half is more like it.
Bon Voyage
Old March 30th, 2002, 11:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Alternative Dining?

The Carnival Spirit has a alternative resturant which sereves Stone Crap , the fee is $20. It is on top of the atrium, and inside the interior of the smokestack. It is it's first try at a alternative resturant, and I don't know how it is. There also is a buffet which offers a breakfast buffet, lunch beuffet, tea and cookies, and a causual dinner buffet. There is no charge for that.

Bon Voyage,
Tyler

NOTE: E-MAIL ME BACK IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS?

Old April 1st, 2002, 03:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Hidden charges, flex dining and soft drinks

On the Pride, sodas ar $2.50 a glass, no cans. My kids will drink at least 3-4 glasses a day each. So, about 410 a day for a 7 days cruise, would be $70. I can get this card for $19.95 unlimted soda. Definitely a deal