Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to natalie
Default Life Boat Drill

My husband has trouble walking due to diabetes, can't stand for prolonged periods of time and can't do stairs. On a previous cruise we had to go to our muster station which was in the lounge for the life boat drill and then we were herded up two decks (four sets of stairs) to where the life boats were. The steps nearly killed him. Does Carnival have any system in place to help physically challenged people attend this drill?
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Life Boat Drill

My mom has been having trouble walking for years, and is in poor health. She walks with a cane and has trouble getting around. On the last cruise she took, which was on the Fantasy in 2000, the cabin steward allowed my mom to stay in the cabin during the lifeboat drill. I don't know if he was supposed to do that or not, but he simply told her to stay put and it would be okay.
Old March 16th, 2002, 11:57 PM
Admiral

Let the staff know that he has trouble walking the stairs and they will let him use the elevators. On my cruise in Dec 01, he staff was going to let my grandmother stay in the lounge, while the others went to the life boats, but my grandmother insisted on going. The staff are very accommadating.
Old March 18th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Passenger

Some friends of ours are frequent cruisers, his wife is on dialysis and is very frail. They told us that they hide in the bathroom for about 10 minutes after the call to muster stations. On Princess, I missed the muster station call (I was in the medical office). I got out of the office about 5 minutes after the drill started, ran 14 flights of stairs up to our room to get my life jacket, and then it dawned on me that: 1) I was already too late and 2) I needed a bottle of oxygen from the darn stairs! I flopped on the bed and figured if they checked the room (they didn't) they would have to carry me down, I wasn't going to budge....