Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Default Death on Triumph?

Has anyone heard about a man dying on the Triumph last week? We were on and weren't aware of it but a friend said she heard it on the news. Said no foul play suspected but that he was missing for some time.
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Default Re: Death on Triumph?

Why the interest? People die all the time, even on ships.
Old March 25th, 2002, 09:17 AM

Not aware of that possible death but people die on cruise ships all the time. It has happened on ships that we have been on. The ships have facilities onboard for such things. It is not something they will tell everyone on the ship about.
Old March 25th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Default Re: Re: Death on Triumph?

Years ago a friend of ours was cruising the South Pacific with her elderly spinster aunt who died on the first day of the cruise. She was fraught with what to do as this was a 15 day cruise that had just begun. Since our friend was her closest relative she had to handle the situation herself. The ship's doctor advised her to wait until they got to the American Somoan Islands and have her cremated and then ship her remains back to the U.S.A. The lady's religious beliefs wouldn't allow cremation but the doctor insisted that getting a casket and body into the U.S. which had died in international waters was extremely troublesome. She yielded to the doctor's advice and against the religious beliefs of the old lady and had her cremated and shipped back. The funny part of the story is when the ship returned to Hawaii our friend was able to get a complete refund from the cruiseline for the unused portion of the cruise the old lady never received! BTW, she is now a lawyer.

Old March 25th, 2002, 02:46 PM
First Mate

My father and his wife went on a Royal Caribbean 4-day cruise last month, as part of a group from a Florida retirement community. One of their neighbors died in his cabin on the second day from an unknown heart condition. The ship did try to put his widow and the body off the ship in the Bahamas, but there was a ruckus from other passengers in the group on their behalf . My Dad said the man's body was very quietly removed from the ship when it returned to Florida, before general deembarkation. The ship kept the incident very quiet from other passengers, so as not to spoil their trip or put additional stress on the widow.

On our Triumph cruise to the Eastern Caribbean last year, a passenger became gravely ill. Passengers were asked to stay off the upper deck for approximately one hour, while a helicopter picked him up to air-lift him to a hospital. A bank of elevators was shut down, and the individual was taken up in a stretcher -- we were in the hall as they were moving the passenger, and he appeared to be comotose. Later the passengers were thanked for their courtesy -- we were all simply praying for the passenger, but never did hear if he made it or not.

With thousands of passengers of all ages (and don't forget the crew!), an occasional tragedy is almost inevitable. Consider visiting the medical facilities on-board, and meeting the staff. Particularly on the newer ships, you'll be amazed at their capabilities to respond to emergencies. As PEB pointed out, however, cruise passenger deaths do occur occasionally.
Old March 25th, 2002, 10:56 PM
Send a message via MSN to Sissybug

It is always sad to lose a beloved family member or friend, but since we all gotta go--what a way to go!!

Old March 26th, 2002, 02:37 PM

I was on the Victory last year and had occasion to visit the sick bay with one of my fellow travellers who had stepped on a sea urchin. I'm a doctor and I got into a conversation with one of the nurses. She told me that it wasn't unusual for 2 or 3 people to die on any given cruise. She said that it was mostly older people with chronic medical conditions who over do the strenuous activities and have an MI.

102911, carnival, certification, cruise, dead, death, deaths, died, international, passenger, ship, trimphth, triumph, triuph, truimp, waters