Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2002, 12:25 AM
Tonya

Default Birth Certificate

We are going on the May 6th Fascination sailing. I have a birth certificate issued by my state that is wallet sized and laminated by the issuer. It also has the state/county seal. The operator at Carnival said she "thinks" it will be okay....has anyone else ever used this type of birth certificate identification??
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Birth Certificate

Hi Tonya,
I have heard of people using those with no problem, but I'd suggest just appling for a passport, they are actually the best form of identification you can carry. They are easy to get and don't take that long, also good for 10 years, so if you are thinking of more traveling in the future, definitely look into getting one, here are the details:

http://travel.state.gov/passport_easy.html

If you do use the birth cirtificate you do have, be sure to also have a photo id, like a picture drivers license. Enjoy the cruise!

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 15th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Pratt & LaNorris

Default Re: Birth Certificate

Tonya,
I, personally, would not travel without the Certified, Raised-Seal, copy of my birth certificate. That is the type I have been told was necessary on certain flights, and any cruise I've been on. A birth certificate of someone in our family group, 2 yrs. ago, was under scrutiny because the "raised-seal" was pretty worn. Your pocket-sized certificate sounds great, but I would want a positive "OK" from a supervisor at Carnival. (Be sure to write that person's name & phone # down & take with you in case there is a problem when you are ready to board.) If you do speak to a supervisor, please post again, and let me know what you are told. I'd LOVE to have a smaller version of our families certificates to keep in our wallets.
Donna

Old April 16th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Tonya

Default Re: Re: Birth Certificate

First of all, I appreciate all the advice I have been given. I did consider getting a passport, but as little as I do travel and the hassle of doing anything in Chicago traffic has made me try to get out of doing anything more than neccesary.

I did call Carnival and spoke with a supervisor Alysia at ext. # 23073 and she did say that that I could use the wallet sized, laminated, numbered state/county issued birth certificate in conjunction with a picture ID such as a drivers license. I explained it did have a seal, but it was hard to tell if it was raised thru the lamination. She assured me that was not a problem.

To safety myself I went ahead and had the Dept of Vital Records from my birth county fax me an application for a paper, raised seal birth certificate. This way, I will have both copies. I really had no idea when I posted this originally that it would be so easy to obtain a new copy by mail. Just fill out a one page application and send in a money order for $5.00. It is actually kind of scary how truly easy it is.

I will most definately repost after my cruise and let you know if the wallet size birth certificate was excepted as positive ID. Lord knows anything wallet size is a blessing with all the necessary paperwork you must keep track of during traveling.

Thanks again for the feedback!