Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival leaving St. Croix

According to the attachment below from a St. Croix newspaper, Carnival is leaving St. Croix due to concerns with crime. I have read that the Victory will now call on San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten in that order. The Victory made her last call on St. Croix last week. The Triumph is also being moved after her May 11th cruise but I do not know if they will also add St. Maarten in the fall when she returns to Miami from the northeast.

http://www.onepaper.com/stcroixvi/
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1
Default Re: Carnival leaving St. Croix

St Croix was always my least favorite island. Got off the ship the first time we went, then the last two times stayed on board. I think they made the right decision.

Old April 28th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Daroll

Gordon,
I will be going on the Victory on 5/19/01is there a way to confirm that this change is really happening for that sailing. The carnival website still lists St. Crioux as one of the ports of call. Please let me know where you heard news about the victory sailings. Thanks
Old April 28th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If this turns out to be the case, there's going to be some pigs at the Domino Club who are gonna get awfully thirsty.

Old April 28th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Carnival leaving St. Croix

I read the attachment from my original posting and also some other passengers who are booked for the Victory from another website called Carnival this weekend and it was indeed verified that the Victory had her last call there this past week. The Triumph will make her last call on the week of May 11th before she heads to the northeast for her summer run. I understand that the Victory will call on San Juan on Tuesday, St. Thomas on Weds and St. Maarten on Thursday. Personally I think that Carniva made the right decision here. I have been to St. Croix twice and it did nothing for me. St. Maarten has all around better beaches and shopping not to mention a very nice new dock. I look for Carnival to put out a statement this week. Kind of like what happened last week with the Legend moving to New York. The cart was put before the horse.
Old April 28th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Beginner

We just got off the Victory about 9 hours ago (Sunday, April 28th @ 9:00 a.m.).

Yes, St. Croix WILL NOT be a port of call and St. Marteen will replace it --- believe me, St. Croix is lousy compared to St. Marteen, which is half Dutch and half French. The Victory's trip from April 21st to April 28th was the LAST time St. Croix will be a port of call -- I believe this is true for ANY Carnival ship that formerly called at this port.

The reason for the change????? How about being mugged in broad daylight in the heart of Frederickstead (where the ship docks). No, I'm not talking about me, but rather prior guests on the Victory and crew members. (Our assistant waiter told us he was robbed in broad daylight two weeks ago -- they got his wallet, money, and an expensive camera).

When we were in port (Wednesday, April 24th.) there was also a U.S. Navy Destroyer in port -- it was docked at the pier next to the Victory -- they had four (4) sailors mugged a day or two before we arrived.

The "powers to be in St. Croix" are downplaying these robbery incidents but believe me, this beautiful island is to be AVOIDED.

Lastly, for the person who asked about in-cabin safes on the Victory --- yes, there is one in the cabin and there is no charge to put your valuables in it.

We were first time cruisers on Carnival (but have cruised on several other carriers) and always looked down on it (too many kids and too much Kathy Lee Gifford) -- glad to say it was just great and we will re-book again.
Old April 28th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Noyt mention the fact that the Police there actually shot and killed a crazy naked man Saturday that was harrassing tourists including children right there in Frederickstead in the middle of the day. When approached by police he apparently threatened them and was shot two or three times in the chest and died at the scene. Not a good thing for tourists!
Jim

Old April 28th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Passenger

It's truly sad that the good and hard working people of St. Croix are going to suffer financially due to the actions of others that live on the island. While I did not care for St. Croix, all of the local people that I met were very nice. This is going to hurt them and their families. The ones to blame here is the local officials who wanted to bury their head in the sand and ignore the problems in place of dealing with them head on. 34 million dollars will not be made up very easy. I look for other cruise lines to pull out of here also. I hope this is a wake up call to the officicals in Jamacia who also need to put a clamp on the crime and drugs there. We shall see what happens.
Old April 28th, 2002, 08:39 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to cruisinmelo Send a message via Yahoo to cruisinmelo

Gordon -
Thanks so much for the info - we're not going til August but I much preferred a St. Maarten stop anyway. I went to the link and bookmarked it and I appreciate having the newas. Now I get a chance to speak a few minutes of French again and enjoy those beaches!

Happy sails - a good decision Carnival!

Old April 29th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Marnie

That's a shame, St. Croix was my favorite, partially because I felt safer there than any other island I had been to in the Caribbean. Although, I'm really looking forward to visiting St. Maarten on my next cruise, I've heard a lot about crime there too, muggings, robberies, rental cars being broken into. Similar to the crime descibed in the article Gordon sited above. I was advised on several postings not to rent mopeds in St. Maarten, not only because of the crime but also because of the dangerous road/traffic conditions. St. Croix was such a calm peaceful place, we rode all over and never felt worried. The sad thing is that the 4 incidents cited by Carnival in the article could have all be perpetrated by one individual -- and it's costing St. Croix $34 million/year in lost revenue. I remember reading an article months ago where St. Croix was negotiating with Carnival to bring in more ships and they were considering having more harbor night festivals to bring in more money. What a quick turnaround.
Old April 30th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Admiral

If blame is to be distributed let it be distributed at the top. The officials who allow an economy to nurture street crime are probably not concerned much about how the little people live. I don't understand how a beautiful island in the Caribbean cannot flourish economically.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:35 AM
bcc

Very sad indeed about the conditions on St. Croix. I was there for a week a number of years ago and had a wonderful time. The island seemed so safe then and, while not as beautiful as some, was a very pleasant and enjoyable place. It was also very exciting the last night I was there as hurrican Hugo was on its way and there was a mad scramble to get out. I was on the last flight out before they closed the airport. A week of martial law followed including some hotels posting armed guards to protect their stranded guests from looters and the activation of the national guard. Maybe that was an indication of things to come.