Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Familiar Face

Default Cozumel & Grand Cayman

Hi there, booked on the Sensation for 8/4 - 8/11 but I have a few doubts about the time that is going to spent ton each island. Is it going to be enough to see something? What should I book? I would like something fun and something the kids will remember when we get back. My mother in law is also traveling with us. The kids are 13 and 9. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Cozumel & Grand Cayman

There is plenty of time to have fun on the islands. I know the stop in Grand Cayman is short, we were on the Sensation last December.

The most memorable thing in Grand Cayman is going to stingray city. It is a sandbar (about waist deep on an adult) where large stingrays come in. It is really an unique experience. We did the stingray city and island tour excursion on the ship. It was nice to get to do both with the short time our ship was in port.
Old April 29th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Cozumel & Grand Cayman

Thanks Michelle....I was thinking about doing the "stingray" thing, but I afraid it was going to be too deep for my 9 year old. It does not sound deep at all. Whatabout making reservations now?
Old April 29th, 2002, 03:53 PM
First Mate

Hi Michele

Yes, definately do the Stingray City excursion...you might have to keep a hand on your 9yr old, as I remember the water being a bit choppy, and there is a lot of excitement going on w/the stingrays around, but it is something they (& you!) will remember for a long time to come! They can also stand close to the ship if they feel more secure that way. I do not think it will be too deep for him.

Glad to hear you are not the type of parent to leave their kid onboard as you do things off of the ship....hope you have a great time!!!

Happy cruising!
Old April 29th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Femme,
Definitely book a tour for snorkeling with the Sting Rays in Grand Cayman, the kids will love it! Also in Cozumel there is the dolphin swim:
http://www.dolphindiscovery.com/

If you are into snorkeling, a trip to Chankanaab park is a good way to spend the day:

http://www.cozguide.net/chankan.html

You may even want to book the Sting Ray City tour with Capt. Marvin, haven't used him myself, but have heard he does a nice excursion:

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

Enjoy your family cruise, have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 2nd, 2002, 12:07 PM
Admiral

As usual, Donna is right on.

We've done Captain Marvin twice, great experience. Just take some juice or sodas and snack food along. The bait chum starts to look REALLY GOOD after some time on the water. All Marvin provides is some icky pink punch.

There are PFDs on the boat if you have any worries about the younger one.

The thing the rays will do to smaller people (I am not very tall) is come up behing you and "clip" the backs of your knees. I think it's pretty funny, but a little kid might not. What you can do is buddy hold ... just face each other and grab forearms or elbows. I did that with a friend who's even smaller than I AND doesn't swim. Then you warn your buddy when a ray is closing in. "Incoming !!!"

I am not a large fan of Chankanaab, too crowded. I far prefer the Palancar Beach Club, south of Chank. Your kids would have a ball on the waverunners, boogie boards, etc. They have EXCELLENT water toys.

Their dive shop is a good one. And there is nothing in this world like snorkeling or diving the Palancar Reef (well, OK, the Great Barrier, but that's kind of on the OTHER side of the world. You have to take a boat to the reef, I think it's $30 for three hours of snorkeling ... then unlimited use of water toys afterward. The open-air restaurant is very inviting.

You can rent a car right at the pier for about $40.

If you do a "search" on the CruiseMates archive, I did article on Cozumel recently. May be more than you need to know <G>.

Old May 4th, 2002, 11:20 PM
gobears

Hi. I will have to say I'm with Pamda when it comes to Captain Marvin's. We just returned last weekend from Sensation. We booked online with Capt Marvin's. When we arrived, there was some confusion as to what timezone the ship was on vs local time and we were the only people there. Capt Marvin's tried to call some of locals who were booked to go to Stingray City but could not contact them. Ruth came back to us and said we will just take you and your wife! We had are own private charter! I would avoid booking through Carnival as they will put you on a 2 deck boat with probably close to 100 people.

It was awesome. This is something the kids will remember. Our skipper and guide was Jerry. If you book with them hopefully you'll get to meet him. He'll probably remember us. Jerry actually took us to a spot to snorkle before we went to the sandbar.

In Cozumel, we did the Catamaran sail and snorkel. This was really more for adults as there was free drinks and plenty of it. It was a blast for us, but probably not the best for a family.

Hope this helps.