Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to CaribbeanGreen
Default Payment onboard-- Cash/Credit?

A quick question-- I know that when checking in you have to put down a credit card to get your Sail n' Sign card, etc.... but what if you plan on settling your balance with cash and not putting any charges at all on your CC??

Last year, on the Norwegian Sky, i told them I was going to do it this way at the Port of Miami, and though it was fine most of the trip, on the 3rd or 4th night my card was "rejected" in the lounge before a show-- I went to the purser, and was told i had to put down a deposit, covering what i'd already spent (around $300) plus what i planned to spend.. i didn't mind this at all, but i wish id' known beforehand...

...this happened again at a later point in the cruise, but the second time they slid a notice uncer my cabin door saying i needed to give them more money... then the last day, i got 56 dollars back from what i DIDN'T spend... it was very confusing and stressful... how can i prevent this on The Victory in July?

thanks in advance for the help,

Paul, aka Caribbean Green
Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Cruise_Crazy

Default Re: Payment onboard-- Cash/Credit?

Every cruise I have ever been on I have had to put up a credit card number. This is so IF you somehow get off the boat and leave a 700.00 tab they will not be stuck. I always give them a Visa Check card number and then go back the last night of the cruise and pay cash. They will not charge your card until the last day of the cruise.
Hope that helps
Old May 13th, 2002, 02:53 PM
First Mate

Will they accept a debit card for this purpose or only credit cards? My mother does not have a credit card in her name!
Old May 13th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Yeoman

They will accept credit cards or debit cards.

We put the credit card down to back the account and then if we have extra money left at the end of the cruise (cash or travelers checks) then we apply it towards the balance so a smaller charge will appear on the credit card bill.

I believe they want to have about $100 extra sitting around if you have a cash deposit so they don't get stuck holding a bill or have to hold the entire ship for you to come settle up on the last day.
Old May 13th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Passenger

I always use a credit card, however several people in our group chose to put a cash deposit down on embarkation. It didn't matter which way you went but if it was cash, they would only allow you to charge up to what you had deposited. You could go and add more of a deposit at any time at the pursers desk, the same way that you can make a payment on your balance at any time if you use a credit card. I have not had any problems but I'm sure that there have been. Just make sure you keep all of your receipts until you get a final staement from them.

kp

Inspiration

Sensation 03/03
Carnival Legend 11/02
Holiday 11/01
Sensation 11/00