Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:33 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to cruisinmelo Send a message via Yahoo to cruisinmelo
Default Best Shorts

Hi -
I will need to change my 7day plans for the Victory this summer to switch to a shorter cruise to accomodate sharing a Disney trip with friends. This is my question -

Would the Fantasy be preferable over Sovereign of the Seas? I've never sailed RCCL, this would be 2nd time on Carnival. Past cruises were, NCL x3, HAL, Celebrity - pre-kids some of them. Worried about older ships - tho I've been on the Norway, too! Has RCCL been going down as of late? Do you think service is less adequate on a 4-day hop vs. 7 day? Never did a3/4 day cruise before.

Single mom - 2 kids - would prefer to do my 7-day but want BOTH this summer.

Any and all opinions welcome! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2002, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Best Shorts

Celebrity ships are newer than the Soveign of the Seas and cabins are larger. Food and dining experience can very by the chefs and servers. I have always had great service and always found too much to eat that I liked on RCI and Celebrity. I have never sailed NCL and probably won't now with their Freestyle Cruising. I am a traditionalist and love to get dressed up in my cruise clothes. We enjoyed our only Carnival cruise very much and hope to sail the Legend next year. I have never taken less than a 7 night cruise either.
Bon Voyage
Old May 24th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Hi,
I haven't sailed the Fantasy or Sovereign of the Seas either, although I'm going on the Fantasy in September. But I have sailed the Jubilee on a 4-day. It's an older ship too, older than the Fantasy, actually. Everything was great. You really notice the age of the boat; it's all dated and a bit less spiffy. But I don't think you'll notice any decrease in quality of service on a shorter cruise.
Just go in with realistic expectations of what to expect on an older ship, don't let the little things get you down, and you'll have the time of your life!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old May 24th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Yeoman

Hi: Well...I only have two cruises in. The first was 7 nights on Dawn and the second was 4 nights on Carnival. I thought the servive on the 4 day carnival was just as prompt and good as on Dawn. We took the other 3 days and did a land cruise in FLA. It worked out well. Have fun. Bob
Old May 24th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Admiral

Been on both and prefer the Fantasy. It went through a major multi-million dollar renovation a few years ago and looks brand new. It has a sushi bar too! Entertainment was top notch and the 4-day to the Bahamas is a very nice get-away for the money. It seems the childrens programs are superb as well. BTW, when I last went on the Fantasy (1/01) we were told by the Captain that that ship was second to only one other (the name escapes me) ship in overall rating by the customers in all of Carnival's fleet.

Sovereign's also a nice ship but didn't seem to have the punch of Fantasy. The food I believe was a bit less impressive.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 24th, 2002, 09:07 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to cruisinmelo Send a message via Yahoo to cruisinmelo
Default A Fantasy Come True

Thanks to Nana, Michelle, Bob & Thomas for your replies quick and honest. Still not sure what we're doing, but I must get on a ship - soon!

When it comes right down to it, I'm one of those people who believe a bad day at sea is better than no day at sea. Things would have to be unimaginable for me to have a "bad" time onboard. I love the experience of being "at sea" and glitz is great once in awhile, but certainly not mandator!

I think I've been concerned about the "party animal" atmosphere, especially on shorter trips. Though I have been known to love nothing better than a glass of champagne(or more!) as I sail away, it's not a fulltime onboard activity for me. As long as all of us can peacefully co-exist, all is well!

I'll let you know what we finally do! Thanks again!

"cruisinmelo"