Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2002, 05:33 PM
Jennifer77

Default babysitting was terrible

I went on the Paradise on the 19th of May and I thought the babysitting was terrible. I took my 21 month old up to day care for the first time and she lasted about an hour until I got paged. So the next day I took her up to the playroom and played with her so she would get use to it. Well when we took her that evening they got mad at her because she wanted to play and they wanted them to go to sleep well during that time I went to get the diaper bag because we forgot it in the room. As we got back my husband over heard the girl saying "If she doesn't stop crying she is going to piss me off." Well I did hear this and he didn't tell me so i couldn't say anything. Well We tried the last night but I asked if she was going to be able to play and they said yes. Well the girl told one of the other girls that they had to open up the jungle gym just for her once again I wasn't there my husband heard, but I guess he didn't want me to say anything so he didn't tell me until later. Oh and when we first got there the girl gave her an ugly look and said "Is Amy going to behave this time." This is out raggious for $6.00 an hour I would think I would get better service. This really upset me and I couldn't be this after all the money I paid for her to be there.
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2002, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Default Re: babysitting was terrible

$6 an hour is bargain basement fees for babysitting. CCL and most other lines have age limits and CCL is supposedly 2 yrs old so they bent the rules to accomidate you apparently. I didn't see where they did anything improper to your child, (which would have been intolerabel), just that they were less than happy with her crying and demands. I am sorry you were displeased but understand that your child was unhappy being away from the familiar Mom and Dad and acted out in the only fashion she knows which is crying which is not a pleasant thing for anyone involved. It is neither your fault, the childs fault, nor the fault of the cruise ship personel, it is just the age of the child.
Jim

Old June 2nd, 2002, 11:47 AM
Jennifer77

Default Re: Re: babysitting was terrible

Well actually they babysit at night for any child under 2. And I think it was the personal's fault because they told me she could play and went back on their word. They were very rude and I can't believe they would talk the way they did. Funny she can go with strangers here but not there when there's other children. She loves playing with other children, but they wanted to make it easier for themselves and wanted to put everyone to bed right away. So they didn't bend any rules for me they just say one thing and do something else. The whole reason they tell us to go play with them during the day is so they can get the child use to playing there and then they go and say she can't play that's ridiculous and I am very dissappointed with them and their staff. Oh and a person who works with children better be a lot more patient then the staff they have, if you work with children you would know that.
Old June 2nd, 2002, 09:04 PM
Therese

I'm sorry your experience with CC was not as wonderful as ours. We never used them as a babystitting service so that could be why. We really appreciated their presence for when our 4 year old got bored etc. I was more than impressed with the staff and what was on offer for 2 to 4 year olds.

We were never under the impression that CC was a day care center and that was also emphasized at our initial parent's meeting. This is why parents were encouraged to at least pick up children for meals etc.

We opted not to use the evening "slumber parties" as we don't use baby sitting at home either. We still managed to find that CC provided us with ample couple time while we knew our son was having a blast. We let him choose when he wanted to go to CC and if it wasn't at a time when there was a dinner or cocktail party on, that was just bad luck for us. This was always intended to be a "family cruise" so I guess it very much depends on what angle you are coming from.
Old June 3rd, 2002, 01:32 AM
Jennifer77

Thanks Therese,

I understood you could not put your child in the program if they were under two, but that they provided babysitting at night. So I figured we'd spend all day with our daughter and put her in the babysitting at night so we could have some alone time. I didn't expect them to get mad at her because she wanted to play, since I did ask if she would be able to do so. Care takers for children need to be patient and apparently this crew was not.
Old June 4th, 2002, 09:10 AM
niecie

Default Re: Re: Re: babysitting was terrible

just got back from the Paradise-Eastern Caribbean and we had a blast...so did my 5 year old. I asked what her favorite part was and she said, "Camp Carnival!!!"

She loved Camp Carnival and the gals there were great. Their family fun times were wonderful! At the end they gave our daughter her very own back-pack and a Carnival T-Shirt.

We had a blast and we'd do it again in a snap! Now, if our daughter was less that 2 years old, i probably would not have gone on a cruise. Being away from mom and dad is really hard on a little one....

niecie
(mother of 5 (5 to 22 y/o) and they all went on the cruise)
Old June 4th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Jennifer77

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: babysitting was terrible

well the thing is she loves to play with other children and play in the jungle gym, but they got mad at her and didn't let her play. They wanted the kids to just go to sleep and I don't think that was right when I was first told they'll be able to play. I knew it was fine taking her, but I don't think they should have treated her the way they did. If they're going to offer babysitting at night they need to train people how to care for infants.
Old June 4th, 2002, 09:25 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: babysitting was terrible

I took my 3 year granddaughter in February for a short cruise ( 4 nights) before I ventured out on taking her on a longer cruise. She loved Camp Carnival and it was hard to get her to spend time with me. We did leave her 2 nights for an hour or 2 with their babysitting service so we could enjoy late dining without worrying if she would get fussy and bother the other passengers. She was still up and playing when we returned. I guess with everything as in life it depends on who is staffing Camp Carnival at the time your child is there.

I am taking her on a 7 day cruise on RCI and I hope there childten's programs are as good as Carnivals.
Old June 4th, 2002, 10:46 PM
Therese

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: babysitting was terrible

I think you hit the nail on th head. We had a fantastic group of youth leaders. It would very much depend on the personalities on a particular cruise and not the cruise line itself...all you can really do is put in an official complaint. I have heard that Carnival take complaints against staff VERY seriously.
Old June 5th, 2002, 01:10 AM
Jennifer77

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: babysitting was terrible

Well I heard Carnival doesn't really hiring professionals to watch the children, but that RCL and Disney does and trains them to work with all ages of children. I think my daughter would have been fine if they wouldn't have gotten mad at her for wanting to play on the jungle gym. I was told she would be able to so I told her about it and when we got there they told her NO and got mad at her. I don't think that was right nor fair for them to show any anger towards her, it was not her fault they said one thing and did another. My next cruise will defently be on RCL I heard such good things about them. The only reason I chose Paradise was because of the non smoking.
Old June 5th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Therese

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: babysitting was terrible

I can't even imagine the staff we had on our particular cruise acting like this.

Thankfully many of us have had wonderful experiences with Carnival and hopefully you will have better experiences with whatever you choose.
Old June 5th, 2002, 12:24 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: babysitting was terrible

We were on the Paradise in February with 3 children (ages 4, 6,8) who loved Camp Carnival. We never did the evening babysitting because they were all too tired by 10:00pm. Maybe the new surroundings were too much for your child. Mine didn't like to be seperated from mom & dad when they were too tired.
Old June 5th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Jennifer77

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: babysitting was terr

well like I said before my daughter just wanted to play, but they got mad at her for doing that. They just wanted them to go to sleep. I'm still waiting for a response from Carnival on who I can talk to, to report the situation.
Old June 8th, 2002, 11:42 AM
First Mate

Jennifer,

It sounds like you should try RCI or Celebrity. They have private in cabin babysitting and group babysitting. I'm told they train and screen the people who work with children much better than CCL. I took my 2 year old on the Century and she can be a little fussy at times. They treated her like a Princess.

My Carnival cruise years back before I had a child, I remember seeing a few children that may have been between the ages of 2-4 running around unsupervised. I'm not sure if this was CC fault or irresponsible parents. But, this was years ago on the Festivale( which is no longer with the Carnival fleet).
Old June 8th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Jennifer77

Thanks for the advice Marty. I've talked to Carnival already and complained i'm waiting for hear from someone hiring to read what I had to say. I heard CCL did not train the people in camp carnival, which I don't think is right. Especially if they're going to handle infants. I told them that was the last time I would be on their cruise, my daughter is the most importhing part of my life and if i'm going to pay good money for someone to watch her I expect good child care. I also heard Disney train and screened their child care employees, but that's again Marty.
Old June 8th, 2002, 07:16 PM
First Mate

I'm sure Disney does train the people that work with children. However, I have heard that they have so many kids that a child may not get the attention she/he or parents are looking for. I have read several reviews on this matter about Disney. One woman claimed that they had 30 babies at one time in the play area and lost her 13 month old. Apparently, the child was wondering around in the hallway. Just keep that in mind!

Good Luck and Happy Cruising!
Old June 8th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: babysitting was terrible

Jennifer77, you heard wrong. CCL does in fact have thier childrens program people go through classes and they also provide a resume that IS checked before they are even given an interview. I believe that this is also true of the other major lines but have no factual basis to back that up, just a gut feeling. Cruiselines take their responsibilities seriously and are well aware of the bad press or legal problems that could arise if they didn't take care in hiring and training. You seem to just be upset because they were not going to allow your child to do as he/she pleased which was play and disrupt others at a time when the other children were all set to go to sleep.
Jim

Old June 9th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Jennifer77

Well I wouldn't travel on disney anytime soon, I would like to go when my duaghter could enjoy it. But thanks for the info Marty. I think my next trip will be RCL, I've heard such better stuff about them then most of the other cruise lines.

And as for Jim, you know it has nothing to do with whether they are trained or not, it has to do that they need to learn how to take care of an infant a whole lot better. And any parent would be upset if they're child was treated the way mine was. Carnival told me that they were not suppose to act the way they did and they acted in an unprofessional manner. I have every right to be angry with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 11th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Hmmm ...

I guess they could have done a better job telling parents what was expected for the "babysitting."

You did say this about the "daycare"

I took my 21 month old up to day care for the first time and she lasted about an hour until I got paged. So the next day I took her up to the playroom and played with her so she would get use to it.

If I were a parent of a young child, I would want the kid sleeping in the evenings, not playing and getting wired.

Sounds like you were expecting, rightly or wrongly, some special treatment that you didn't receive?

Could be that the caregiver interpreted "play" as "play quietly rather than demanding a jungle gym" ???

Old June 11th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Jennifer77

If we're on vacation I don't mind if she's up a little late and playing for a while until she get's sleepy. And that still doesn't excuse how they treated her and the RUDE COMMENTS they made. And if I said daycare i mean babysitting at night.