Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2002, 12:29 AM
Foster Brooks

Default Check in booze

Hello,

What is the most successful way to get liquor past the checked bag screeners at the dock in Miami? I lock my bags anyway. How would they know? Water bottles?

Thanks

FB
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1
Default Re: Check in booze

I have always wrapped it in bubble wrap then in plastic bags and checked it all the way through. Airline and cruise. I have never, ever had a broken bottle. Last cruise I packed 4 bottles of wine and 3 bottles of liquor getting on and 5 bottles of liquor going home - no problems at all - just save the bubble wrap and bags to pack any bottles you pick up while there. I did have a bottle of champagne in my carry-on and was not questioned about it.

Jodi

Old June 4th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Check in booze

Hi: We take the wine etc in the unopened bottles in our carry on. Then, when we get to the airport or hotel, we transfer it to our luggage and let it go. Have not had a porblem this way. Never considered the extra insurance of doing bubble wrap. Thanks UConn. I will remember that for next time. Bob
Old June 4th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Admiral

You may always bring wine and champange onboard in your carry-on in plain sight and nobody will say a word. Liqour is a differant story as you are not supposed to do so. There are ways it can be done but I see no reason to talk about them as I do not think one should do so, just as I don't think one should smuggle liqour into a fine resturant or nightclub. The drink prices are very reasonable and if ya can't afford it, then you don't need it, just like everything else and believe me, I can't afford lots of things.
Jim

Old June 4th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

I just get the gallon-size Ziplock bags and pack the bottles in those in my checked luggage -- never have had a problem. Also, I've used those small water bottles in my carry-on tote, and just mix 'em with a couple regular water bottles -- just don't light a match around the one marked with an "x"

Harry
Old June 4th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Admiral

We, too, can afford the reasonably priced drinks on board, but after 7 cruises I found that not every ship has my favorite alcohol (Parrot Bay Rum) and so I pack that. My last cruise was the first one I have been on that has had it. My brother and father also like to dip their cigars in Grand Marnier and don't want to have to pay for a full drink when only a little is called for also don't want to have to walk down to bar to get it or wait on room service to bring it when they want to smoke on balcony. We take the wine because our favorites are not on their wine lists.

Jodi

Old June 4th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Passenger

Jim, I understand what you are saying, BUT there are lots of individual reasons for taking your own alcohol on board, as you've seen from some of these posts. I for one don't like the way other people mix my mixed drinks. Call me picky but I'd rather mix my own. Most of us that will bring a bottle or two don't do it to jip the cruise line or to have a personal stash that we can get polluted on, we do it to improve our trip for our own unique reasons. I also don't think that the cruise lines should tell us we can't take it. We're paying for the cruise right, we should be able to take what we want within reason. And a bottle or two of our favorite liquor is not unreasonable. Just my opinion! BTW I will be taking my own gin and my husbands crown and we will have a great trip!! Ellen.
Old June 4th, 2002, 05:37 PM
First Mate

Bravo..........well said.Ellen wrote:
Old June 5th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Admiral

In Jodi's case I can understand and have no problem with someone that prefers a certain brand or type.
Jim

Old June 5th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Not to be argumenitive, but would you take your private bottle into a lounge, nightclub, or dining establishment? I do understand what you are saying and it does not bother me if one prefers to bring thier own, I am just saying that people should be aware that the policy is against this and I am not one to encourage people to go against policy that is actually reasonable and widespread in the industry.
Jim

Old June 5th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Admiral

I agree with that Jim - I would never take personal stock into a restaurant or bar. I also ended up bringing home most of my bottle of Parrot Bay after I found out they had it on the cruise - I usually ordered it from the bar.

Jodi

Old June 5th, 2002, 06:49 PM
TomS

Here in Colorado, it is illegal to take liquor into an establishment that already sells alcolhol. The burden of enforcement is on the establishment since the penalty for infractions is the loss of the liquor license. This is a liability issue on the criose lines since alcolhol can impair judgement, and cause damages to people or property. The cruise line must maintain control over aloclhol served so they can cut off a drunk person, and let him sober up. Otherwise, he or she would keep drinking from his own stock, out of control from the cruise line, and potentally cause harm to another person. If you want to see what some drunks are capable of, go to your locak detox center on any Friday or Saturday night (or just watch COPS).
Old June 6th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Check in booze

Aw, c'mon Robo. Have you never exceeded the speed limit? Or rolled through a stop sign? These are also reasonable policies.

Policies like this, IMO, are to stop excesses. They are in place so a cruise line can stop somebody who, say, brings five cases of liquor on board and throws massive parties or maybe tries to make a few bucks by selling it out of his cabin. Now don't jump all over me saying "The cruiselines do not have a problem with people opening up a liquor store in their cabin." That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying the policy allows them to put a stop to excesses when they feel it's necessary. If they don't have a policy then excesses will occur.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 6th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Yeoman

Hi: I wouldn't bring 5 cases on liquor on board but I have brough a couple bottle of wine for consumption only in my cabin. A pre dinner drink or late a t night sort of lets get loose and realx and.......not have to walk from the lounge to the room.....etc.... Would not mix and then leave the room with it. And based upon my $500,00 bar tab this past April on Fascination, I don't thinkl I cost them much money. Bob
Old June 6th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Check in booze

I agree and I don't think the cruiseline will object to your non-compliance. We also will sit in the room and have a drink while watching a movie and don't want to have to get dressed to go out in public or answer the door for room service. Our $600 bar bill is proof we're not trying to cheat the cruiseline's profits.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 11th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Admiral

I wouldn't bring my own into a restaurant (though you CAN bring your own wine on a ship) but I sure would in a hotel.

There's a difference.

Old June 13th, 2002, 09:43 PM
DonnaAldred

I just have to add my two cents here...There are many many many times when I have brought my own alcohol into a restaurant and club. Most restaurants/bars/clubs do not carry the liquor I like to drink (Galiano) and some of the drink concoctions that I like to make most bartenders don't have clue so it's easier to bring my own. I am cruising on the carnival next year and I definitely plan to pack my own. And if it saves me a few bucks in the meantime....oh well...the cruiselines do just fine - they are far from poor. I was in Bermuda last year and asked the bartender to make my favorite drink. He didn't now how to make it so I gave him the ingredient's. It didn't taste quite right so I asked him to give it another quick shot of Kahlua...he charged me another $8 for the price of the "shot." Sorry guys...but I'm all for bringing your own stock. Go for it.