Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Ronn

Default Scuba in Ocho Rios

My family and I are booked to cruise on the Conquest. One of the ports is Ocho Rios. I notice that Carnival offers a one-dive trip here. Has anyone used this ship excursion? We plan to dive Grand Cayman and Cozumel as well; but have never been in Jamaica. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Gaines

Default Re: Scuba in Ocho Rios

I would like to know as well as we will be there in a few weeks. I contacted local dive shops with no response at all. ANY info would be appreciated.
Old June 5th, 2002, 10:45 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Scuba in Ocho Rios

i was a socail host for carnival a few months back and we always went scuba diving in Cozumel, MX. Thats the best place to go in the carribbean. There are tons of dive shop about 3 miles from the pier where the larger ships dock. The water is crystal clear. It's amazing. We would dive for free, and go week after week so we really didn't get that involved in the paperwork, scheduling, licensing or fee.

I would not recommend diving in Ocho Rios. All they want is your money. They dont care about the equipment or your safety. If you do go...please be careful!!!!

The only advice i have to you is "Dont go to cozumel without scuba diving" and "dont eat or drink anything" (i've been sick too many times becuase i made this mistake in the past)

Good Luck,

BRIAN
deejaybryan@comcast.net
Old June 6th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Gaines

Default Re: Re: Scuba in Ocho Rios

I jave been diving in Cozumel, and Grand Cayman, and all over the Med as well. I have been to Jamaica and really dislike the place, too many pushy drug types for my taste. So we want to dive there on our upcoming cruise and use the ships excursion ( I tried to contact local dive operators, but got no reply). I figure that diving is the only way to avoid most of the pushy people. So from what you are saying we should avoid the ships excursion as well. Am I reading that wrong?
Old June 10th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Ronn

Default Re: Re: Scuba in Ocho Rios

Looks like you may be the point man in this endeavor! If you decide to dive, please give us a report or email me when you return. Since I'll be taking my wife, I want to be sure that it is at least a safe divemaster! She has only four ocean dives to date and I don't want to subject her to unnecessary peril. I just can't see spending the day in Jamaica shopping. We've been to the falls and we've shopped the stores. All I need to get from the shops is some Blue Mountain coffee and a few bottles of the Jamaican Rum Cream. If you like Bailey Irish Cream, try the Jamaican Rum Cream; it is deliciious cold and over ice.

As far as Cozumel, we dove it and Grand Cayman in March. The reefs are beautiful and we had really professional divemasters on all the dives.
Old July 8th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Scuba in Ocho Rios

Just got back from a week at Ocho Rios... I don't dive ( even though family owns and operates several Dive Shops around the country)... but I heard nothing but praise about the diving and the dive staff. I would suppose that there are problems everywhere.

Brent
Old July 9th, 2002, 09:22 PM
Gaines

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Scuba in Ocho Rios

We did not dive in Jamaica afterall. We really don't like the place much so I doubt we will ever go there again anyway.