Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 7th, 2002, 02:55 PM
glen

Default Free Upgrades

Every once in a while, I read about people getting free upgrades to a better room or category. How do you get a free upgrade? Do you have to ask for it or do they just offer it to you? Can the travel agent who booked this do it for me?
Any insights would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Glen
Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2002, 03:07 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Free Upgrades

Glen,

We are booked on the Fascination 6/17 and when we received our docs there was no upgrade. However, I do monitor the rates and discovered that the price we paid had gone down $75 pp and the upgrade was one category higher than we were given.

I forwarded this info to our TA who asked Carnival for a price reduction or credit---she was denied because we'd made final payment. I then asked the TA about an upgrade and she was able to get us one category higher--from 6C to 6D.

Would our TA have done this on her own without my requests? I doubt it. But , I was very pleased with her quick response when I did ask.

Julie
Old June 7th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Free Upgrades

I have done the same as Julie and gotten upgrades when the price dropped.

For a while Carnival was offering free 2 category upgrades to celebrate their 30th anniversary but I believe that promotion is over.
Old June 7th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: Free Upgrades

Hi Glen,
There is no real way to optain a free upgrade, sometimes it happens and most times not. There is a better chance of getting one by booking a cabin guarantee, just book the catagory you'd be happy with, most likely thats the least you would get.

Here is a link to an article that explains upgrades:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...s/upgrades.cfm

Hope this helps, you can also just talk to your travel agent and see what the cost is to upgrade, sometimes its not that much, have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 7th, 2002, 08:51 PM
Therese

Default Re: Re: Re: Free Upgrades

we also got an upgrade because we had paid in full and the price had dropped. We had to plead to get it though
Old June 7th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Donna B.

Glen, we have been on 3 cruises, all Carnival. Our first cruise, I booked in November for an April cruise. I booked a guaranteed inside room. This was recommended to me by my boss. He said the odds were good that we would be upgraded with the guarantee. We got an oceanview room on the Riviera deck last room, aft. I loved it. I don't mind walking or climbing.
We had no one walking by either. Second cruise, booked an inside room, got room # this time. TA told me to call a month from sailing to see if he could upgrade us if the price went down. He did. We ended up with a "handicapped accessible" room in the front of the ship on the Panorama deck. It was so big. Also booked this in November for an April cruise.
Third cruise, this past April, I booked it last August. I booked a guaranteed lifeboat room with obstructed view. It had french doors so I knew I wouldn't mind the boat as long as I could see something. (my hubby smokes too). We were upgraded to an oceanview on the Riviera deck again, midship, right by the stairs. It was very convenient to everything except the Lido deck.
(This was on the Pride)
The site that the other Donna gave you is a good one. Upgrading depends on so many things.
The earlier you book, the better. Returning Carnival customers have a good chance too.
If you would be devasted with an inside room or no balcony, I wouldn't take a chance.
Old June 8th, 2002, 10:53 PM
Passenger

Hi there....

We went on our first cruise last October on the Triumph...we booked an assigned cabin, yet still received an upgrade when we checked in. We had to fight to get our original cabin back. (we chose that cabin for a specific reason....the large wrap around balcony!!!) Anyway.....you can read all sorts of info about how and why upgrades happen, however, there are always exceptions....I think a lot may have to do with luck. (for I feel we were the most unlikely candidates for an upgrade, however we still received one, even though we didn't want it!!) I think we all should just be thrilled that we are on a cruise!! : ) Happy Sailing!!
~Kristin : )
Old June 10th, 2002, 10:49 AM
glen

All,
Thanks for the info. My aunt is a travel agent and sheís the one who booked the trip for us, but I wanted to ask around before I asked her. I felt a little awkward about asking my aunt if she could get me an upgrade. I didnít want her to think I was trying to get something for nothing. Iíll let you know what happens.
Thanks Again!
Glen
Old July 29th, 2002, 11:47 AM
glen

Hi All,
I have an update...
Late last week, my aunt called to tell me she was booking someone on the same cruise that I'm booked on. The price went down $50 per person. She told me that Carnival wasn't willing to give me the price difference. However, they were willing to move me to a higher category cabin. So we were bumped up from a category 4A cabin on the Riviera deck to a 8A outside balcony cabin on the Main deck. That's pretty cool.
Glen