Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2002, 01:19 AM
Beginner

Default Snorkel equipment - Buy your own?

Is it worth it to buy a set of snorkel equipment? I saw some adult goggles and tube for $9.99. I was going to buy a set with fins for my 13 year old from Dick's Sports. They also fit my wife and myself. There was a set with fins for my 9 year old for 14.99 from Sports Authority that looked o.k. We will be staying at the Caribe Hilton in San Juan a day before the cruise. I am cruising the Carnival Destiny on June 16th. I plan on renting a Jeep in Aruba. Any ideas on good places to snorkel in Aruba? Should I go to Coki Beach in St. Thomas to snorkel. Let me know if the problem would be hauling the snorkel equipment around on the islands. I think we plan on going on an excursion in Barbados which would include snorkel equipment. What is everyone's opinion about bringing 4 masks and tubes and two sets of fins on the cruise? Is it worth it?
Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Gaines

Default Re: Snorkel equipment - Buy your own?

Well, looking at those prices, you have to remember that you get what you pay for. Being a diver who hauls all of my scuba equipment with me, I would recommend that you rent the equipment as the rental equipment will be better than that found at a sports store. A good mask goes for around $49.95 and a decent set of fins will run you about $89.00-$99.00. A good snorkle will run you about $15-$20. Those cheap items are just that. You will have a much better experience with quality gear.
Old June 8th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I agree with Gaines on this one - unless you want to make the investment for the good equipment - rent it.
Jodi

Old June 8th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Snorkel equipment - Buy your own?

Hi CDplayer,
I was able to buy the snorkeling equipment at our local sports store for about $50. Have used it a few times, not a real big deal packing and lugging it either, at least I know it fits and the mast doesn't leak :-) I do agree with the others, you get what you pay for.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 8th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Definitly Buy your own!! We rented last year and this year we are bringing our own!
Old June 8th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Gaines

Default Re: Re: Snorkel equipment - Buy your own?

Just don't buy cheap.
Old June 8th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Passenger

When we took the ship tour to stingray city, the equipment they had on the boat that took us was VERY CHEAP!! I found a mask and snorkle at HEB in Texas for only $16.99 and have tested it in the swimming pool with GREAT results! It doesn't leak at all and is very comfortable. I know you "get what you pay for" but remember the tours use cheap stuff too because they are used and abused by tourists. I was lucky to find this deal and glad I'll be taking my own this time!! Ellen.