Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Lynda

Default Paradise Bedding

I have read (live with fibromyalgia) that the mattesses on the beds are very poor, sagging, can anybody else verify this whether the mattresses were saggy or were they fine? Please help, booked up Paradise for Aug. 18th.
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2002, 07:47 PM
TomS

Default Re: Paradise Bedding

I was onj Paradise back in March. I found the matresses to be adequeate. They are hotel type matresses, so they do get lots of wear and tear. I was used to this, however, since my late father was in the hotel industry, and guess where we all got our bedding.
Old June 16th, 2002, 09:25 PM
First Mate

I just returned from the Paradise 7day to the eastern caribbean on 6/2/02. The mattress problem you read about may have been my comments in another answer...but the mattresses are very poor quality. They were about 7 inches thick and sagged badly in the middle. I asked for a replacement the after the first night because my back was killing me after sleeping in the "sling" position. There were no extras. I made my daughter trade beds with me although her mattress wasn't much different. We also turned both of them and in doing so found them to be very stained (ugh)!

If you need more cushioning, you might consider taking a twin size egg crate, rolled up really tight as a checked item. This is all I can think of as an alternative. I purposefully looked in at beds in other cabins when there were open doors, and they all sagged in the middle!
Old June 16th, 2002, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Lynda,
I too suffer from Fybro, (not a fun thing), and find that I am usually better off after a cruise than before. Only on two ships have I ever had a problem and one was the NCL Norway whose bed was like a brick, and the other on the RCI Splendour of the Seas where the mattress was exceptionally thin and lumpy. So far all the CCL ships, (over 12), have been pretty good.
Jim

Old June 16th, 2002, 10:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just got back from the Paradise June 9. Had cabin R175 and the mattresses were just fine. Reasonably firm, no sagging. Maybe the cabins on Riviera deck get less use since everyone gets upgraded from there when the ship is not full. We had no complaints.
Old June 16th, 2002, 10:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

My mother suffers from fybro (serious case) and osteo arthritis and has never ever had a problem on any of the CCL ships we have been on. She actually sleeps better - I don't know if it is the mattress or just the fact that she is on vacation, but she has never complained about a problem. You should be just fine.

Jodi

Old June 17th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Lynda

Thank you so much guys for your reply, not sure what I will do.
Sorry that you have the same condition Jim, I know what its like and Jodi sorry about your mom having this also. I also suffer from many other ailments due to having fibro, its just a terrible thing.
I am on Empress deck....within the past 4 years I have been on 7 ships, 4 which were Carnival and found my butt and back sinking on the Imagination and the Sensation. I am only 132 pounds!! We were on the Grand Princess last year and I also had that problem. I guess I could ask the cabin steward for two extra blankets, and fold them and place it in that "hole" in the mattress. I am not be the least picky at all, but I feel that cruise lines need to replace mattresses sooner than what they do.
To Jim and Jodi, to tell you the truth I also feel so so much better on a cruise especially after the first two days, my pains are so much less. I think maybe the sea air has something to do with it, or we just don't have the everyday stress of life that contributes to this condition. But I agree, cruises are a real therapy for pain.
Old June 17th, 2002, 11:31 AM
willat

Sam's club sells a queen size air matress that automatically inflates (like the aero bed but 1/3 the price. It folds up to about backpack size and is pretty comfortable. Maybe you could bring something like that just in case the amtresses are really bad?
Old June 22nd, 2002, 01:25 AM
Sue Sue

Part of what I look forward to for my Paradise vacation is sleeping. The mattresses are wonderful. I don't know what they are made of but for three years running I must say I am pleased with the rest. I have arthritis and sleep apnea and wish I would be able to get the same sleep results at home. Maybe the rocking of the ship has something to do with it? Hmmm, I wonder if my health insurance would cover a lifetime cruise so that I may sleep properly?
Old June 23rd, 2002, 12:26 AM
lyndammr

Default Re: Re: Paradise Bedding

Sue,

When did you cruise on her lately? I know what you mean, if there is something to help us insurance should pay for it! I also have that sleep apnea...oh well, we can't be perfect I guess.
Old June 23rd, 2002, 12:27 AM
lyndammr

Default Re: Re: Paradise Bedding

Sue,

When did you cruise on her lately? I know what you mean, if there is something to help us insurance should pay for it! I also have that sleep apnea...oh well, we can't be perfect I guess.
Old August 5th, 2002, 11:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

I had to chuckle when I read your post- we were on the Paradise just last May 2002
and encountered the HARDEST MATTRESSES EVER! It was like sleeping on
concrete slabs- even my husband who likes a firm mattress had to admit that
it was really hard! Obviously since the stewards can't replace a mattress, we had
to improvise a bit: I stripped the beds, placed an extra blanket and the bedspread
on top and then remade the bed. I spoke with our room steward about the
improvised beds (after they were put together to be king sized) and it was fine with
her-- least she didn't have to put the bedspread on every morning and that was
fine with us as long as the beds themselves were made up. At least we were
more comfortable for the rest of the cruise! We sail on the Triumph in December
so hope we won't encounter such hard mattresses! We can live with soft or
sagging mattresses as long as the bedding, linen and everything else is clean and
we're not on the floor sleeping!

JanGail